Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: What menswear or streetwear item do you not have a use for?

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdalton View Post
    Shomas,
    Just wanted to say that I have enjoyed reading about your openness to change and willingness to re-think earlier positions. You really have a great attitude and sets a good example of how to think about clothing and style. Thank you for that.
    Thanks! Here's to hoping my hard-won (relative) open mindedness can save someone else the trouble of eating crow by wearing something they had fairly recently (and fairly vehemently) sworn off.

Also, re. purple ties, I took a suit into Mid City Tailoring yesterday for some alterations. The shop's proprietor is Paul Winston, the man behind Chipp Neckwear, from which I got my purple grenadine. Every time I go in there, he tries to sell me on his ties (I'm not in enough that he would necessarily recognize me as having bought them before). This time, I let him know that I was quite familiar with his ties and had only recently been talking up the purple one that I bought a few months ago. In response, he told me that when he first started selling grenadines, he did them in a bunch of colors but only expected the navy and burgundy to sell in any significant numbers. To his immense surprise, purple turned out to be just about as popular as the navy and burgundy and has consistently been one of his best sellers since. There's no real point to this story, I suppose, other than to point out that purple is indeed a well-regarded color and a lot of men are happy to incorporate it, and to note that not paying it much attention is apparently a vice that's not just confined to us hoi polloi, but something that even people who make their livings in menswear can fall into.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmann View Post
    Elbow patches. I don't understand why this is a thing.
    On jackets, they help the elbows last longer. I'll agree they don't really serve much purpose on anything else, but I do like a contrasting texture on some thick sweaters (don't own any, but I like the look).

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    On jackets, they help the elbows last longer. I'll agree they don't really serve much purpose on anything else, but I do like a contrasting texture on some thick sweaters (don't own any, but I like the look).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAcH8IQSaGI

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    On my alpaca cardigan I'm happy I have elbow patches to save the wool.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quoted
    379 Post(s)
    I never was a big colored denim guy. Grey, brown, black, different shades of blue etc. Then I found Gustin and went wild....it was my denim rumspringa and I never returned to just dark indigo.

Also I swore I would never wear "slim" pants or shirts because they were feminine( circa 2011) then I moved to a more fitted wardrobe.

Styles change. Life circumstances change as well. Right now I don't need dressy clothing besides a suit, few ties, few shirts. But in a few years I will.