Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: What menswear or streetwear item do you not have a use for?

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Can I please get johnmann's opinions about the new iPhone and final season of Dexter?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LosRockets View Post
    Can I please get johnmann's opinions about the new iPhone and final season of Dexter?
    Sure thing. Unless you're tied down to the Apple ecosystem, there's really no reason to get an iPhone over a Samsung Galaxy. The final season of Dexter was the usual high quality except that ridiculous last scene. Maybe that's where I get my hated of lumberjacks. It features another item I was actually thinking about including on my list of items I have no use for: shirt pocket flaps.
    Last edited by johnmann; January 14th, 2015 at 03:44 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    212 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattdalton View Post
    Always great to end the day with a good laugh - thanks for that, Angus!
    Haha, I'm just glad something positive came from last night's bout of insomnia.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Trying to keep focused on more traditional/basic items.

1. Anything corduroy, just never have liked the material. I have a pair corduroys pants and a corduroy blazer, and they both rarely get worn.
    2. Double-beasted topcoats/trenchcoats. Double-beasted peatcoats and blazers are fine, but I feel Double-beasted topcoats just don't hang well on my body.
    3. Monkstraps. They seem to be a love them or hate them type of item. I'm on hate the side.
    4. Boat shoes. I just prefer either sneakers or loafers
    5. Like many have said, French Cuff shirts. More trouble then they are worth. Double barrelled are close enough with less hassle.

I find that within my personal style, certain items go it and out of style. 2 years ago, I had no polos and hated them, now I own 3 and wear them fairly often during the summer. I wore cardigans non-stop over Fall/Winter 2012 and 2013, but this year I have been wearing sweater jackets and my cardigans have gone virutally unworn. I used to wear purple shirts quite a bit, now I my non-neutral color of choice is green.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmann View Post
    Watch complications. Having to adjust the date every month kind of defeats the purpose.
    Obviously that's why you have to go with a perpetual calendar. Easy-peasy.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somaticmarker1 View Post
    I used to wear purple shirts quite a bit, now I my non-neutral color of choice is green.
    That's interesting. I've been undergoing a bit of an evolution in the opposite direction. And purple is another thing that I once swore off. I really thought it had no place in my wardrobe at all. But then I got a beautiful purple grenadine tie (from Chipp, which I can't recommend highly enough) and started seeing how great it looked with my navy suit...and my charcoal suit...and my brown tweed suit...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shomas View Post
    That's interesting. I've been undergoing a bit of an evolution in the opposite direction. And purple is another thing that I once swore off. I really thought it had no place in my wardrobe at all. But then I got a beautiful purple grenadine tie (from Chipp, which I can't recommend highly enough) and started seeing how great it looked with my navy suit...and my charcoal suit...and my brown tweed suit...
    Same boat for me. Never thought I would wear purple. Then I picked up a t-shirt in a dark purple and really liked it, which led to a dark purple tie, which led to a lighter purple tie with white stripes, which led to a purple gingham shirt. Purple ties are surprisingly versatile, with the bonus of not matching a suit like a navy tie does.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    I have a purple pindot tie that gets more wear than almost any of my other ties.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Count me in for purple. 4 dress shirts, 1 casual button down, 1 tie (wearing it now...came in handy for an interview for a place whose dominant color is purple), and 2 pairs of chinos, one for winter and one lightweight for summer which has yet to be warn. Get compliments on the heavier pair all the time (from Bonobos).
    Last edited by tjyoung; January 14th, 2015 at 09:29 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shomas View Post
    Shomas,
    Just wanted to say that I have enjoyed reading about your openness to change and willingness to re-think earlier positions. You really have a great attitude and sets a good example of how to think about clothing and style. Thank you for that.
    Matt Dalton