Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Black tie" question

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

"Black tie" question

I'll be attending a fundraiser soon, and the attire is "black tie"- I have three options:

1. black suit (left over from pre-Dappered days!) with a white shirt & black grenadine

1. Rent a tux

2. fake a tux. The black suit from option 1 with a black bow tie

Any opinions?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    What is the nature of this fundraiser? Is it related to business, etc.? Will most folks there be in tuxes (if you don't know, ask someone)?
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I've seen pics from last year- most men are wearing a tux, but I saw a couple of dark suits w/bow ties

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1048 Post(s)
    If this is in any way related to work then a tux is a must, otherwise I think you could get away with a suit in which case I would pick the bow tie.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freddyman View Post
    I'll be attending a fundraiser soon, and the attire is "black tie"- I have three options:

1. black suit (left over from pre-Dappered days!) with a white shirt & black grenadine

1. Rent a tux

2. fake a tux. The black suit from option 1 with a black bow tie

Any opinions?
    If it's really black tie, none of these is right. But 1 and 2 are less bad - I'd probably go with 1 if I owned a black suit.

3 is terrible.

I'll add that I got an invite to a black tie event related to my work a couple months ago, with arts/culture crowd mainly (for a museum) and quite a number of guys were not dressed in black tie. If the event has been held before, it's worth asking what people wore previously to see if a good suit is OK. In which case go with 1 but don't go with a black tie, go with a very dressy sliver/black/gray or something patterned tie, such as a traditional wedding plaid.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)
    I hope this isn't a New Year's Eve Fundraiser ...

The black suit with a bow tie appears to be a faux pas. Pretty much every black tie guide hates it. The Suit Supply guy advises the faux black tie, but he is a bit eccentric.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    If it is actually "Black tie," then I would say rental is your only bet. This is an actual black tie event, otherwise they wouldn't have a dress code. If you can't meet the dress code, don't go.
    If it is "black tie optional" or some less clear designation, any dark suit is fine. This event is just aspirational black tie.

As an alternative to rental, if you have some time before the event, pick up something reasonable on ebay and have it tailored. Will cost less than the rental, be higher quality, and look much better.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    33 Post(s)
    I wore a black suit with a bowtie for my wedding. It looked 100x better than any rental option. Plus, unless this is a black tie event for a menswear company, no one will know (or care) if you're using a black suit.

Edit...this is a photo of me getting ready for my wedding. The suit was $180 (vest included). My good friend, who's seen using the lint roller on me, took me to his tailor and she basically worked magic on it. The end result is this:

http://kathleenhertelphotography.zen...1482/e38b6e392

IMO...this will look better than a rental.

Don't rent. It looks cheap.
    Last edited by Jeff P.; January 2nd, 2015 at 02:39 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Lookin' good, Jeff P. Love the empty bottle of Jack Daniels on the counter!

I've got some time, I'm looking on ebay for a tux. I would rather not rent one. It seems silly to buy a tux, but this won't even make the top-10 list of dumb stuff I've spent money on...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    389 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff P. View Post
    I wore a black suit with a bowtie for my wedding. It looked 100x better than any rental option. Plus, unless this is a black tie event for a menswear company, no one will know (or care) if you're using a black suit.

Edit...this is a photo of me getting ready for my wedding. The suit was $180 (vest included). My good friend, who's seen using the lint roller on me, took me to his tailor and she basically worked magic on it. The end result is this:

http://kathleenhertelphotography.zen...1482/e38b6e392

IMO...this will look better than a rental.

Don't rent. It looks cheap.
    Looks better than some tuxes.