Thread: jacket search--guidance needed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

jacket search--guidance needed!

Hey all,

Looking for some guidance for my partner, a newly dapper fellow who is in desperate need of an everyday, sporty winter jacket. It's a bit urgent, as the jacket that he needs to replace has actual holes in it where the insulation is poking out.

He wants:
    +hip-length
    +insulated to be pretty warm but not bulky
    +rather sporty, with full range of movement in the arms and shoulders

He liked the look of the Boden Quilted Jacket but rejected it as not warm enough for mid-Atlantic winters and too tight to allow him to comfortably dance the YMCA. (Yes, that's actually how he's testing.) Any ideas on where to find something similar but better?

If it helps in determining good recommendations, he's fairly average in build but has a relatively broad neck. Willing to spend for the right garment but prefer under $300.

Thanks,
    C.

PS. If dancing the YMCA isn't a good way to determine whether armholes are too tight, please advise on that, too . . .

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Question:
    Is sporty simply referring to the mobility allowed or is it an aesthetic preference as well?
    Does he need to dance the YMCA in the jacket? (This may be too high of a standard)
    How does he determine if a jacket is warm enough?

A ski jacket might be the best bet. They are sporty (much more than the Boden Quilted), and some are insulated quite while, at the same time being quite thin.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good idea on the ski jackets. Any brands to recommend? He's been disappointed with the options at places like EMS.

Sporty refers more to mobility, but he definitely isn't looking for a wool coat or a field jacket. He liked the aesthetics of the Boden Quilted, just not the functionality.

He doesn't *need* to dance the YMCA--good call. Mostly his mobility needs are just being able to drive comfortably and walk around town, though it'd be nice if he could also bike in the jacket--he seems to think only some garments will work for this. (I can't advise on this, because I bike in everything.)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    Sorry, I know nothing about ski jackets brands. I don't ski, and I do fine in during the winter, wearing layers and a peacoat. Which I have, in fact cycled in. I haven't attempted the YMCA though.

Not to say this is the wrong place to ask, but since there is some urgency, I suggest looking in a skiing or winter sports forum. This is more a style forum, and most of your concerns are functional. Plus, guessing from the dappered blog, this is more the peacoat/topcoat and perhaps quilted jacket crowd. I think the being able to do the YMCA is that hardest criteria to meet.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    I know the first thing I always think of when purchasing a jacket is the YMCA test.