Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Jan 1st 2015 P90X/Survivor No Spend Challenge

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    P.S. I can't believe that 1.) Someone could not own a hoodie, sweatshirt, or some other kind of long-sleeved athletic top, or 2.) They could make it to January without wearing long sleeves to run. I've been in full winter running regalia - tights and all - for the past 2 months.
    Yeah... I have just been going to our local gym to exercise and it's been better than running when wind chills have dipped close to negative 30.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninpb View Post
    I apologize if I missed you sbca. Adding you to the list now. I assume you were too hungover to do shopping on the 1st?

Anybody else that's not on the list that should be?

@ninpb
    @3piece
    @Brent k
    @wsupjs
    @Vicious49
    @Wahoo1997
    @devastitis
    @akosmowski
    @firemunkee
    @DapperTexan
    @justin t
    @ronrob two dress shirts
    @LesserBlackDog
    @zcm
    @tjyoung
    @andrewlcraft
    @dackman
    @sabrown
    @Vanquish
    @Jackbauer
    @jayashae
    @theskillets
    @doomx
    @TKNumber3
    @sbca
    ...I'm out. I'm out of the contest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwH__x6jV6A

On the positive side, I did my budget for the upcoming year over the last few days, so spending generally has been reigned in and redirected. Plus I get to be first loser!
    Last edited by ronrob; January 11th, 2015 at 12:52 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    As for loopholes, on one hand I agree that people need to be careful of finding ways of cheating the contest but on the other hand this is just a self policed, friendly challenge to get us to save money. If you want to cheat or justify in crazy ways that is up to you, there is no money at the end of it.
    @ronrob what did it in for you?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    @ronrob please reply with the full list and put the date and item you purchased next to your name. Everybody else copy the latest list if you go out and do the same. I think it will be easier to track the status of the challenge this way and it will look good.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    Yeah, you guys are coming up with too many loopholes, justifications, rationalizing, etc. This isn't anything like the first challenge with all of these exceptions. You can run in sweats or an old shirt. If you've gotten by fine for 25 years or whatever, not sure why you would now suddenly need black pants, hoody, etc.

Basically if it's a clothing related purchase for yourself - you're out. That's the way it should be. So if it was up to me, JustinT and Dackman would be out. I'm not running it this time though so it's not up to me.
    I hope you're not saying that because I started this thread that I am the judge. I just wanted to make sure that a challenge did kick off for the new year so that I can get myself on it.

I mentioned before that its whatever breaks the challenge for yourself since this is an honor code thing and there is no prize. I suggest you be really honest and hard with yourself so you get the most out if this.

Having said that I think it would be fun if you really have to ask here and you get at least 3 yes votes that its a purchase then you are out. Everybody game? Any suggestions?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    So.... I'm out.

As I was driving home from picking up MTM shirts order from my tailor yesterday, I realized I had placed an order for a pair of pants and a sport coat when I shouldn't have. Ugh!

So, I need help. How do you stay reminded that you're not to spend money? So far it's only a problem when I see my tailor and see all that beautiful fabric. I don't impulsively shop online nor at brick and mortars.

I'm thinking about leaving my debit card home and just carry cash but that might be overkill since I only see my tailors like once every 2 months.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    I'm out. Work required black pants purchased.

@ninpb
    @3piece
    @Brent k
    @wsupjs
    @Vicious49
    @Wahoo1997
    @devastitis
    @akosmowski
    @firemunkee
    @DapperTexan
    @justin t
    @ronrob two dress shirts
    @LesserBlackDog
    @zcm
    @tjyoung
    @andrewlcraft
    @dackman - Black pants - 1/12
    @sabrown
    @Vanquish
    @Jackbauer
    @jayashae
    @theskillets
    @doomx
    @TKNumber3
    @sbca

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TKNumber3 View Post
    As for loopholes, on one hand I agree that people need to be careful of finding ways of cheating the contest but on the other hand this is just a self policed, friendly challenge to get us to save money. If you want to cheat or justify in crazy ways that is up to you, there is no money at the end of it.
    @ronrob what did it in for you?
    A couple of dress shirts did it for me. They are colors/patterns that I've wanted for several months, but couldn't seem to find within my budget (or at all, really). Finally ran across them and decided to pull the trigger. $24 each. I guess it's possible that they won't fit well when they arrive and I'll return them, but I think that would just be a technicality. I made the purchase knowing what I was doing regarding the contest.

At least I nuked myself over a mindful purchase that I've been after for awhile. :\

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    Updating the list for the fallen.

@ninpb
    @3piece - pants and sportcoat - 1/11
    @Brent k
    @wsupjs
    @Vicious49
    @Wahoo1997
    @devastitis
    @akosmowski
    @firemunkee
    @DapperTexan
    @justin t
    @ronrob - two dress shirts - 1/11
    @LesserBlackDog
    @zcm
    @tjyoung
    @andrewlcraft
    @sabrown
    @Vanquish
    @Jackbauer
    @jayashae
    @theskillets
    @doomx
    @TKNumber3
    @sbca

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    A few points:

Point 1) I'm also out. Updated list below. I was trying to purchase a pair of 'wine' colored chinos from Club Monaco before Christmas, but they were sold out of my size online (link here).

A couple days ago, I got fitted for a tux for my role in a wedding, stopped by the Club Monaco store, and lo and behold, there they were in my size. Solid $30 purchase that I do not regret. Getting the navy and grey in addition, however, I might regret at some point, but not yet.

Point 2) Even if I didn't buy these chinos, I was eventually going to be out of the contest when I would try to buy a pair of LL Bean boots to help me get through the slush that has started to show up here in Michigan. However, they are all on backorder through April and it seems that none of the stores have them either.

This brings me to my final point being:

Point 3) If you need something, get it. And if you want something, you know you will wear it at least semi-frequently, and you have the funds, get it. Just don't go crazy (this is up to your personal preferences, of course.) As others have already pointed out, this thread is run by the honor-code, is self-policed, and is mostly here to keep in the back of your mind every time you do have the urge to make a purchase.

"Do I need this?"

"Will I wear it often?"

"Is it going to break the bank, or can I break even by not getting my daily/weekly/whatever Starbucks run?"

I don't drink coffee or go to Starbucks, but you get the point.

This thread has helped me out a few times already - some good deals out there that I passed up because I asked myself those questions. Hopefully I can stick it out til April with my wine chinos. For everyone asking the board if something will disqualify them from the contest, man up, and use your own judgement. Just remember that while there may be a 'winner' at the end of this, there is no prize, so use this thread more as a tool for your spending.

@ninpb
    @3piece - pants and sportcoat - 1/11
    @Brent k
    @wsupjs
    @Vicious49
    @Wahoo1997
    @devastitis
    @akosmowski
    @firemunkee
    @DapperTexan
    @justin t
    @ronrob - two dress shirts - 1/11
    @LesserBlackDog
    @zcm
    @tjyoung - pants - 1/11
    @andrewlcraft
    @sabrown
    @Vanquish
    @Jackbauer
    @jayashae
    @theskillets
    @doomx
    @TKNumber3
    @sbca
    Last edited by tjyoung; January 12th, 2015 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Thanks to ninpb for noticing my error for ronrob