Thread: Thoughts on these?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Thoughts on these?

Hey guys, I'm looking for some new shoes that I can dress up or down. I'm a university student so I can't afford some of the top tier brands. However, I was looking at this shoe from DSW, what do you guys think? I like more modern Italian/English style of shoes.

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/mercanti+fio...ductRef=CROSS:

Cheers!

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Those look nice and they seemed decent when I saw them in person a while back in a DSW. I would go for some bluchers if you want to dress them down though. I assume you mean jeans when you say dressing down. Some people will wear balmorals with jeans but I choose not to.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    When I was in undergrad, I still purchased nice shoes (Allen Edmonds or Alden), but I got them USED or on clearance. That way you still get a shoe that will last 10-20 years, but don't pay full price. There are a lot of bluchers that go on deep discount, so keep an eye out. They work great for semi-casual or suits.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    Another option - Full grain leather, blake stitched, leather sole and $200 shipped. http://www.velasca.com/en/product/me...cialardon.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have also been looking at the shoes the OP posted at DSW. looking for something I can wear a lot.. Mostly with wool or cotton trousers with a shirt/tie/blazer or occasionally a sweater. Are these shoes and color versatile? I know there are better constructed shoes out there but as for these specific shoes I am curious what the consensus is.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Hey! I'm also a student, and I bought those same shoes. I thought they were great quality for a glued-sole shoe. However, I have managed to score barely-used Allen Edmonds on ebay for less, and for just a bit more you can get jack erwin blake-stitched shoes new. But it's certainly not a bad idea.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it! I haven't seen them in person but can anyone chime in on how they look in terms of trendy or conservative? Thanks.