Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Transparent Discussion on Dappered Threads' Moderation

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)

Transparent Discussion on Dappered Threads' Moderation

Quote Originally Posted by sierra.alpha View Post
    I open the deals thread, and I see deals for $400 and $500 shoes and boots...that must mean either we are definitely out of recession, or we are heading back into one.
    Those types of things would usually get posted in the Fred's Finds thread but with Fred gone, no one posts there much anymore.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    Those types of things would usually get posted in the Fred's Finds thread but with Fred gone, no one posts there much anymore.
    I would had I more time. Also, I miss the Ebay finds posts. That was fun.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    Might have missed it. Where did Fred go?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    I think he got blacklisted or something.

Mentioned
    431 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)
    Fred G. Unn was banned this spring by consensus of the site moderators and administrators after several instances of bizarre and manipulative behavior. The majority of moderators have determined not to discuss the incident in any further detail out of respect for Fred G. Unn's privacy. I personally disagree with that decision but I will respect it until the majority of moderators determines otherwise.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Fred G. Unn was banned this spring by consensus of the site moderators and administrators after several instances of bizarre and manipulative behavior. The majority of moderators have determined not to discuss the incident in any further detail out of respect for Fred G. Unn's privacy. I personally disagree with that decision but I will respect it until the majority of moderators determines otherwise.
    an unfortunate decision. Fred always makes meaningful and helpful contributions over at SF and AAAC. Don't know what he did here to draw the ire of the Dappered mods but I don't agree with the decision to ban him either.

Mentioned
    431 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post
    an unfortunate decision. Fred always makes meaningful and helpful contributions over at SF and AAAC. Don't know what he did here to draw the ire of the Dappered mods but I don't agree with the decision to ban him either.
    Let me be clear: I do not disagree with the decision to ban Fred, which was entirely appropriate in the circumstances. I disagree only with the decision not to discuss the details of the events that led to the ban. In my personal opinion our silence has led to far too many people being left with an unjustifiedly rosy perception of and sympathy for an individual who (again, in my opinion) went out of his way to demonstrate that he did not deserve it.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    330 Post(s)
    Ya I don't really understand the edict to not speak about it.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I'm not a mod and was told some of the events by Fred himself so I see no reason why I can't talk about it. I don't remember the exact details now but basically he was getting tired of not being able to make even minor jokes (I believe he was reprimanded by certain mods) and getting tired of seeing the same 'newbie' posts over and over. He created a new account and posted some newbie questions and scenarios under that username in an attempt to make a point. It was mocking the forums/mods and ended up getting him banned. Like I said, it's been a while so the details are fuzzy now so I could be off a bit but that's the gist of it.

I love Fred but he did deserve to get banned for that alternate account thread. And by that point he really didn't care and was basically asking for it and seeing what it took to get banned. I do agree with him that the threads are a bit too heavily policed. I enjoyed the light hearted Duvel style humor and think there is such a thing as a dumb question and you should be able to take some light ribbing for it so long as people don't start piling on. But that's an entirely different conversation that isn't appropriate here.

To put it back on topic, I received an email this morning for BR with a personal code that gets me 50% off any 1 item as long as I use my BR card.

Also, everything is 50% off at J Crew factory. Although some of the items I've seen cheaper in some of their other recent sales.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    Folks, mods have written about this several times in multiple threads. It is not some big secret and happened quite awhile ago. Just use the search function to learn why he was banned. It was a group decision and was not due to joking with new members.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano