Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Transparent Discussion on Dappered Threads' Moderation

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruschetta View Post
    You only need one post to state an opinion. Notice that you haven't been warned, banned, etc. We may disagree, but that's fine since the discussion is civil.

The warning was that I'd delete any further posts speculating that Dappered would mistreat its readers.
    Was he uncivil? Is it appropriate to delete posts that speculate that Dappered might mistreat its readers? How did you think that kind of action or the potential for that kind of action would be received by LCDR or other readers? How would you have responded to the threat to delete something you've posted?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    This thread is getting dumb. Perhaps it was our mistake for assuming folks on the Internet could be civil adults for too long. I mean, four-ish years is a good run. There are like 2 banned former members. One is a temp ban. They were dicks and that's what happens when you're a dick. There's no issue of transparency. There's no issue with over-moderation. There just isn't. We delete maybe .001% of non-spam posts. MAYBE that much. And have banned 2 members in several years.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    I, for one, can't wait until I have enough posts to get fired up. I'm a madman when the shackles come off!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schigleymischke View Post
    Was he uncivil? Is it appropriate to delete posts that speculate that Dappered might mistreat its readers? How did you think that kind of action or the potential for that kind of action would be received by LCDR or other readers? How would you have responded to the threat to delete something you've posted?
    Yes, it's highly inappropriate to speculate that Dappered might mistreat its readers when there's no history of that occurring. Joe's worked to build his site up since 2009. He has maintained a 100% ethical track record. He goes above and beyond to ensure that Dappered's readers come first.

To insinuate that those ethics, ethics that he's worked hard to maintain, would suddenly disappear is inappropriate. If you disagree, well, we will have to agree to disagree.

Here's an analogy: MemberXYZ writes a post where he insults @schigleymischke's character. I would delete that post and warn MemberXYZ. At that point my concern would be for the poster who was on the receiving end of the insult, not the instigator. I would hope that the readers would understand why the insulting post was deleted.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Yeah, at this point we are basically arguing about angels dancing on pinheads. The number of comments that have been deleted is, as Greg noted, probably less than a tenth of a tenth of a percent of the total posts; the number of members who have received warnings for questionable conduct is probably no more than a dozen or so; and the number of members who have actually been banned can be counted on one hand.

People seem to be imagining that there is a lot of shady action going on behind closed doors when there really, really isn't. People are getting worked up over nothing, as far as I can tell. The idea that there is a real threat of being arbitrarily banned without warning is ill-founded.

If you really NEED forum rules to live by, here is a rule of thumb: If, as you are about to click "post," there is any question in your mind as to whether your comment is "polite" enough to pass muster, odds are good that your comment could probably be rephrased in a way that leaves no question.
    Last edited by LesserBlackDog; December 22nd, 2014 at 07:19 PM.
    Ben

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruschetta View Post
    Yes, it's highly inappropriate to speculate that Dappered might mistreat its readers when there's no history of that occurring. Joe's worked to build his site up since 2009. He has maintained a 100% ethical track record. He goes above and beyond to ensure that Dappered's readers come first.

To insinuate that those ethics, ethics that he's worked hard to maintain, would suddenly disappear is inappropriate. If you disagree, well, we will have to agree to disagree.

Here's an analogy: MemberXYZ writes a post where he insults @schigleymischke's character. I would delete that post and warn MemberXYZ. At that point my concern would be for the poster who was on the receiving end of the insult, not the instigator. I would hope that the readers would understand why the insulting post was deleted.
    He didn't speculate on anything other than why some other person might want to buy Dappered. Speculating why someone's property might be worth buying is not an insult.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    People are getting worked up over nothing, as far as I can tell.
    /thread

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    I think everyone has made their point, and it's evident that not everyone is going to see eye to eye on this... How about all parties agree to disagree and we return our focus to helping each other improve their style? That's why we are all here, and why this is such a great internet community.

In my opinion, the mods do a great job of helping maintain a site that fosters that sort of constructive community.

I also hope, in the end, @LCDR reconsiders leaving the site. It's obvious he made a special contribution to this forum and helped many people out.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shomas View Post
    I, for one, can't wait until I have enough posts to get fired up. I'm a madman when the shackles come off!
    You like where I set the post count high enough where only my opinion would count.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicious49 View Post
    You like where I set the post count high enough where only my opinion would count.
    Yours and Duvel's.
    Ben