Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Transparent Discussion on Dappered Threads' Moderation

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittiwake30 View Post
    It's an opportune time for me to thank the moderators for the volunteer work they do in this community. I think they do a fine job, and, even if I didn't, I don't have the stones to criticize the commitment of people willing to do a service I am not.

I am not too invested in these arguments while the streets run rife with riot and the polar bears struggle to survive. Bunch of guys talking about men's fashion, in a civil fashion, largely.

I've learned one thing late in this life I wish I'd learned earlier, and that is don't cater to chronic critics or the pathologically negative. While constructive criticism is welcome with open ear and mind, laptop experts should be thrown to the Sarlaac.
    Quote Originally Posted by AngusM View Post
    A good point. Forgot for a moment there that this thread was only about the moderators, who aren't the ones telling newbs to go use the search function instead of starting new threads. And regarding the moderators, I agree entirely with @Kittiwake30 that the moderators on here do a great job and that I'm grateful for their efforts.
    Thank you @Kittiwake30 and @AngusM!

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    @TravelingJ I have personally addressed this many times in this forum. But if you wanna be a jerk about it, that's fine. I addressed it publicly right after the fact. Not to mention we don't owe you this conversation man. We're trying to be nice and open.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bruschetta View Post
    I might add that the moderators are not aware of site changes until they happen. Again, we're volunteers. We're readers of the main site just like you.
    Oh I get it better then most. I've been a user on a forum, asked to be a Jr. moderator, moved to moderating team lead, to administrator, to root administrator. I went from just a common user to 1 of 2 people responsible for the entire site so I get everything you guys do and what you go through to keep things running smoothly. It's not always easy.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    All, I have decided to leave the forum, for reasons that might be pertinent to this thread. I recently was given a warning over a single post, which I did not particularly appreciate, and did not think deserved it. Although I think the post was benign and was improperly interpreted, I don't want to get into defending myself. The scolding kinda leaves a bad taste for me. Suffice it to say, I think some over-zealous moderation has lead/ is leading to the curtailing of participation from members who have contributed quite significantly to this forum in the past.

I have not been banned, or asked to leave, but I am voluntarily saying good-bye for now. Perhaps I might check back in later, but I don't know. Thanks to all for your give-and-take in these threads. I have learned a lot from you about clothing fit, construction, style, and quality over these past few years. I hope there will continue to be a wide variety of people contributing here.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    @LCDR, I'm sorry to see you step away. It is a shame and a loss for the forum. You have contributed great reviews that filled a gap in what dappered typically covers. With your absence, I'm even less likely to check in here. Pm me if you decide to contribute elsewhere on the web.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    Sorry to see you go also @LCDR . I hope you will reconsider. If not, Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    In the spirit of transparent moderation, here the post that I warned LCDR about (direct link):

Quote Originally Posted by LCDR View Post
    Buyer gets an instant ready-made base of readers and a list of email addresses. Doesn't need to spend years building up readership. Employ a group of low paid contributors. Slap on some more ads and bring in revenue. Popularity will eventually decline, but buyer is betting on increased ad revenue to compensate.

Whoever buys it, I hope they keep the forums going.
    Here is my warning (direct link):

Dappered will never share readers' email addresses with advertisers. Period. It angers me that you suspect that highly unethical behavior of Dappered. I almost deleted your post, but I felt it important to nip this in the bud.

This is a warning. Please do not create imaginative scenarios where Dappered engages in malicious behavior towards its readers. It's a discourteous move on your part.
    From my perspective, the post stated that Dappered would share readers' private information with advertisers. Dappered has a strict, no-nonsense privacy policy and an equally-strict advertisement policy. Joe also publicly lists each month's advertisers.

Joe keeps to a high ethical standard, even at the expense of his personal income. He's maintained an unwavering ethical standard for over five years at Dappered. He (and the rest of the Dappered team) have a five year track record of valuing ethics over profit, and putting the readership.

In short, that's why I got upset at the unfounded speculation that Dappered had shared readers' information with advertisers. I take that statement very seriously. If I misinterpreted it, then I'd like to publicly apologize to LCDR. As he stated, he has not been banned, asked to leave, etc. His past contributions to the forum are appreciated, and I personally hope that he will continue to share his perspective on the forum in the future.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1079 Post(s)
    LCDR said the buyer of the site gets a list of email addresses not advertisers. Reread his comment again...."Buyer gets an instant ready-made base of readers and a list of email addresses." He didn't say advertisers. Kind of ridiculous to lose a good contributor over comprehension skills.

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Kind of ridiculous to lose a good contributor over comprehension skills.
    If LCDR believed Bruschetta misinterpreted his comment, he could have said as much. Personally I'm not sure Bruschetta's comments were so far off the mark: I'm not sure why LCDR would point out the value in a hypothetical Dappered buyer getting readers' email addresses if not to suggest that those emails will be monetized somehow. If you actually read the comments in the context in which they were made, LCDR was basically responding to my questioning what monetary/investment value there would be to someone buying Joe out of Dappered when Joe is Dappered's primary asset.

In any event, leaving the forum altogether strikes me as a disproportionate reaction in this case, but that is LCDR's choice. He was not banned, asked to leave, or otherwise penalized except for having his post called "discourteous" - a description he certainly could have chosen to contest if he believed he had been misinterpreted. But we are sorry to see him go, regardless of the reason.
    Ben

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    In the spirit of transparent moderation, here the post that I warned LCDR about (direct link):

Here is my warning (direct link):

From my perspective, the post stated that Dappered would share readers' private information with advertisers. Dappered has a strict, no-nonsense privacy policy and an equally-strict advertisement policy. Joe also publicly lists each month's advertisers.

Joe keeps to a high ethical standard, even at the expense of his personal income. He's maintained an unwavering ethical standard for over five years at Dappered. He (and the rest of the Dappered team) have a five year track record of valuing ethics over profit, and putting the readership.

In short, that's why I got upset at the unfounded speculation that Dappered had shared readers' information with advertisers. I take that statement very seriously. If I misinterpreted it, then I'd like to publicly apologize to LCDR. As he stated, he has not been banned, asked to leave, etc. His past contributions to the forum are appreciated, and I personally hope that he will continue to share his perspective on the forum in the future.
    You shouldn't have threatened to delete his post or "warn" him. Too much, too severe, and unnecessary. It sets a bad tone.