Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Transparent Discussion on Dappered Threads' Moderation

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    Hence us trying to have this conversation @TravelingJ. Also, remember that moderation here and the main site are completely separate.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Thanks for that constructive contribution.
    I think we can all agree that the search function is pretty terrible, though. When I search WUS, I can find what I'm looking for pretty readily. Not so much on here.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Thanks for that constructive contribution.
    You're welcome.

That was mostly alcohol fueled, but now that I'm coffee fueled-it's still 100% accurate. Banning people and then sweeping it under the 'privacy' rug is a cop out. If they were doing something on a public forum, then the reasons are just as public. If you want to veil it under privacy that's your right, but it's a lie, and we all know it.

And then being told "go search" is a slap in the face to the members. Even if you can figure out how to work around the search annoyances, it's still a garbage search that barely gives you accurate results, if any. Before this spin-off thread started, I did try to search to see what happend with Fred, and all you can find are vagueries with a lot of inferences that require you to read between the lines and assume.

If you want to claim you are being transparent, 6 months after the fact-then you can expect (and deserve) more than a few 'it's about time's.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
    You're welcome.

That was mostly alcohol fueled, but now that I'm coffee fueled-it's still 100% accurate. Banning people and then sweeping it under the 'privacy' rug is a cop out. If they were doing something on a public forum, then the reasons are just as public. If you want to veil it under privacy that's your right, but it's a lie, and we all know it.
    I don't get it I don't frequent many forums anymore but I used to in the past. I've never been in one where the standard policy after somebody was banned was for the mods to openly discuss the matter. It's usually "X was warned several times for Y action and he failed to comply with the board TOS he agreed to when he signed up. Therefore he lost his posting privileges"

NSA be spyin' on everyone and you're worried about transparency regarding bans on Dappered...

Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2039 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AngusM View Post
    I think we can all agree that the search function is pretty terrible, though. When I search WUS, I can find what I'm looking for pretty readily. Not so much on here.
    The search function certainly leaves much to be desired. That is not something within the control of the moderators, however.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    58 Post(s)
    It's an opportune time for me to thank the moderators for the volunteer work they do in this community. I think they do a fine job, and, even if I didn't, I don't have the stones to criticize the commitment of people willing to do a service I am not.

I am not too invested in these arguments while the streets run rife with riot and the polar bears struggle to survive. Bunch of guys talking about men's fashion, in a civil fashion, largely.

I've learned one thing late in this life I wish I'd learned earlier, and that is don't cater to chronic critics or the pathologically negative. While constructive criticism is welcome with open ear and mind, laptop experts should be thrown to the Sarlaac.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Transparency here is a total joke. Joe kills off things on the main site and tells nobody. Regulars are banned and nobody is told what happens. Search is convoluted and hidden to the point where it's useless. "Go use the search" makes me madder than anything. How? Search ONE TOPIC forum? Absolutely useless. Turn on the damned search that EVERY forum in the world uses. If that puts such a demand on the server, then someone needs a new $7 a month server.
    Quote Originally Posted by greg_s View Post
    Hence us trying to have this conversation @TravelingJ. Also, remember that moderation here and the main site are completely separate.
    If you want to claim you are being transparent, 6 months after the fact-then you can expect (and deserve) more than a few 'it's about time's.
    The search function certainly leaves much to be desired. That is not something within the control of the moderators, however.
    First, I'll reiterate what Greg & Ben said: we the mods have little say in the main site (except for the occasional innuendo-laced article from @bruschetta) and the search function. You also have to remember that the site is a business for Joe. I have no qualms with Joe doing what he thinks is best for his business, even tho I definitely miss the comments.

Second, I think I can offer a unique perspective on all of this. I've only recently (as of July) been made a moderator. I was not a mod when Duvel & Fred were banned. At no point did I feel like anything was swept under the rug. I remember clearly understanding what happened with both of them. I enjoyed Fred, but once all the g8terboi stuff happened, I took no issue with the ban. I did have some questions about Duvel, since he consistently pissed me off, so I emailed the mods and they (specifically Ben & bruschetta) were helpful and clear.

One of the things that's interesting about all of this is that I haven't caught wind of any complaints until all of this opened up. Now, we've got some people that feel the need to vent. I completely understand this; I've often seen it happen in "real life". Let me leave you with this: we are always here and you can always message us, even if there's not an open complaints thread.
    Last edited by bjmcgeever; November 27th, 2014 at 01:27 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    211 Post(s)
    A good point. Forgot for a moment there that this thread was only about the moderators, who aren't the ones telling newbs to go use the search function instead of starting new threads. And regarding the moderators, I agree entirely with @Kittiwake30 that the moderators on here do a great job and that I'm grateful for their efforts.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Transparency here is a total joke. Joe kills off things on the main site and tells nobody. Regulars are banned and nobody is told what happens. Search is convoluted and hidden to the point where it's useless. "Go use the search" makes me madder than anything. How? Search ONE TOPIC forum? Absolutely useless. Turn on the damned search that EVERY forum in the world uses. If that puts such a demand on the server, then someone needs a new $7 a month server.
    You do realize you're not entitled to information about site changes right? It may not be good a business choice but it's also not required. Search isn't great but it's usable in most situations. "Search ONE TOPIC forum?"....I assume you forgot a word in there. If it's the one I think it is then your frustration with search is probably the result of you not knowing how it works. If you want to search an entire section you have to do the search from the root of the section. A.K.A. the place where the list of threads/topics are located.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Transparency here is a total joke. Joe kills off things on the main site and tells nobody.
    The forum moderators are all volunteers. We're not paid to do this. Additionally, we don't have any input into the operation of Dappered.com.

Regulars are banned and nobody is told what happens.
    The reason that we haven't openly discussed moderating decisions in the past is that discussing another forum member's actions puts us in an ethically questionable position. I'm of the mindset that we should respect every member's privacy, even if they've been banned. That being said, we can try to share more in the future.

Search is convoluted and hidden to the point where it's useless. "Go use the search" makes me madder than anything. How? Search ONE TOPIC forum? Absolutely useless. Turn on the damned search that EVERY forum in the world uses. If that puts such a demand on the server, then someone needs a new $7 a month server.
    That is not something that we have control over. It does not, in fact, have anything to do with moderation. However, here you go. Bookmark this link.

Quote Originally Posted by JGL View Post
    You do realize you're not entitled to information about site changes right? It may not be good a business choice but it's also not required. Search isn't great but it's usable in most situations. "Search ONE TOPIC forum?"....I assume you forgot a word in there. If it's the one I think it is then your frustration with search is probably the result of you not knowing how it works. If you want to search an entire section you have to do the search from the root of the section. A.K.A. the place where the list of threads/topics are located.
    I might add that the moderators are not aware of site changes until they happen. Again, we're volunteers. We're readers of the main site just like you.