Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Transparent Discussion on Dappered Threads' Moderation

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Sorry, who here is being uncivil? As near as i can tell, the majority of the snark has come from the moderators.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)

Yawn.

You seem to be mistaking exasperation for snark. This whole thread is really not accomplishing anything other than letting a few unusually low-post-count members engage in concern-trolling over a nonexistent problem.
    Ben

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    502 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teerockness View Post
    Sorry, who here is being uncivil? As near as i can tell, the majority of the snark has come from the moderators.
    It's the herd mentality around here. Anyone not kissing a mods arse, and that is unbiased, can see in this thread a team of mods basically all agreeing with one another, teaming up and being "snarky" (i'll be nice), towards anyone who disagrees. I read LCDR's comment and was actually surprised at the Mods comment to him. It was most definitely rude. Not just that. LCDR was one of the nicest and biggest contributing members on this forum, and he was basically scolded like a child. At the least, a little bit of decency could of went a long way, and a private message could have been sent. Nope, Super Mod flew in like a real tough guy and basically said "OMG YOU CAN'T SAY THAT ABOUT JOE" and went off on some ridiculous tangent over nothing, and threatened one of the best posters on this place. That is one of the reasons a lot of the long-term posters either hardly post here anymore, or left altogether. If you ask anyone on this forum about LCDR, I'd be willing to wager not a single bad word would be said about him, and your comment drove him away. It was obviously not without incident. Grats!

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    I'd hate to break it to you, but you're mistaken if you think you're coming off as unbiased. As @Vicious49 commented several posts ago, this "incident" between Bruschetta and LCDR was something that rational adults should have been able to get over in about ten minutes. Frankly, it makes no sense to me that LCDR would, rather than explaining or defending his comment if he felt he'd been misinterpreted or singled out, instead steam over it for three days before announcing his departure.

Now instead of accepting LCDR's decision and moving on, a small number of people - though notably, not LCDR - are using it as an excuse to vilify a team of volunteer moderators who, I daresay, are also among the major content contributors to this forum. Frankly I've never seen a forum moderating team take (or tolerate) so much flak for so little. But if it makes you feel better to rage against the tempest, feel free to continue berating the folks who spend their free time deleting spam so that you can read and write about clothes
    Ben

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

Yawn.

You seem to be mistaking exasperation for snark. This whole thread is really not accomplishing anything other than letting a few unusually low-post-count members engage in concern-trolling over a nonexistent problem.
    Bruschetta could apologize for misreading LCDR's post.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schigleymischke View Post
    Bruschetta could apologize for misreading LCDR's post.
    If by this point you haven't convinced everyone in this thread that that's what actually happened, it's not going to happen.
    Ben

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    If by this point you haven't convinced everyone in this thread that that's what actually happened, it's not going to happen.
    And you think that's a good thing? Is that good for this forum? Is it going to encourage more participation?

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schigleymischke View Post
    And you think that's a good thing? Is that good for this forum? Is it going to encourage more participation?
    Do I think it's a bad thing that you have failed to convince everyone here that your opinion is a fact? I have no opinion about that whatsoever.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Wait... I just saw this... and apparently g8terboi was just Fred?? Man, I felt so bad for g8terboi too... please tell me this is a sick joke.

And yeah, obviously these mods suck guys. None of them know how to wear 600 dollar raw denim, so I'm out.

JUST in case, that was a joke. Not that I think you guys are oversensitive or anything.

Dappered Veteran
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Quoted
    513 Post(s)
    HOLY SHIT. Are you effing kidding me? I have to agree with this: "a few unusually low-post-count members engage in concern-trolling over a nonexistent problem." and ask everyone still whining about this to come to your senses. Why is everybody being so sensitive?

Yes. I liked LCDR. His reviews were awesome and I hope he comes back. This forum is very popular and always welcoming new members asking about brands I've either mostly moved on from or have no interest in, and selfishly I choose not to take time to respond to most of the questions since there are others willing to do so and thus I've lost interest in the Threads . In that context, LCDR's posts were must-read for his reviews, good pics, and coverage of higher end brands. I get tired of recommending the same brands to different newbies and awkwardly ignoring or tiptoing around bad fits and bad ideas, so I'll miss the content he added.

That being said, I think he overreacted to bruschetta's comment, which is *totally* appropriate for a mod to send as it relates to a big issue pertaining to any website or forum associated with a consumer good and in particular there have been controversies and discussions in the #menswhere sphere about blogging ethics in the past few years related to this sort of issue. He could have defended himself or shrugged it off and moved on. Bruschetta wasn't defending Joe's honor or anything like that, he's saying "Hey, no. Cut that out, Dappered has a clear set of policies and values and that is contradictory to them - we don't want you to spread misinformation." He wasn't temp banned - it was a warning. I've been on forums where mods abuse their power, this isn't it. I've had posts deleted for yelling at trolls, I've never stopped to worry about it - there are more important things.
    @LCDR: If you ever choose to come back I'll be happy and it'll benefit the forum. If you start posting on SF, PM me so I can stalk your posts. But you overreacted man.

So why are some of you (esp the low post count folks) getting bent out of shape over it? FWIW, I have been fairly critical of Joe - look at my series of posts on this year's $2000 wardrobe, and I never received a warning for it.