Thread: Charles Tyrwhitt (CT Shirts) Reviews

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Charles Tyrwhitt (CT Shirts) Reviews

As the holiday season fast approaches, I thought it would be beneficial for forum members to have an unbiased review of one of the great menswear staples, the white dress shirt. This review is mainly for the different "have to iron" Charles Tyrwhitt white dress shirts, since I now own almost every version. It is my hope that this review can better inform members so you don't have to go through the wasted time and expense that I incurred.

Before the reviews, a little about me so you can gauge relevance to your particular dress shirt needs. I am a Creative Director at an Inc. 500 in the Financial industry. I reside in Florida and am in my early 30s. I wear a suit four days out of the week and travel semi-regularly for business. I started with and now disdain "non-iron" shirts. From all the “non-iron” shirts that I tried including: Lands End, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, and Charles Tyrwhitt all have subsequently been donated to Good Will. I have found that laundering and ironing at home to be both fiscally responsible and also lengthen the life of my dress shirts. Case in point, I purchased a Rowenta pro iron about two years ago and it paid for itself after the first year.

Okay, on to the good part. To make all things even, I have ranked all shirts against each other on a 5 point scale. 1/5 = poor to 5/5 being wicked awesome. My review ranks on the four criteria of how I judge a dress shirt: Softness, Ease of ironing, Thickness, and Value.

Charles Tyrwhitt White Herringbone
    • Softness: 5/5
    • Ease of Ironing: 4/5
    • Thickness: 4/5
    • Value: 5/5

Notes: This is one of my favorite CT shirts and thus I own two (white and sky) with french cuffs and reserve them for galas and other black tie events during the year. The herringbone is very distinct and adds a great texture backdrop to solid ties. I would rate this a mid-weight shirt as no skin hue is visible. Even though it is a little on thick side, I wear this shirt during all four seasons. If you are only going to own one white dress shirt, I would make it this one.

Charles Tyrwhitt White Pinpoint
    • Softness: 4/5
    • Ease of Ironing: 3/5
    • Thickness: 3/5
    • Value: 4/5

Notes: The is a pretty defacto dress shirt and one I would recommend to anyone who wants to test drive CT shirts. The softness has only improved after multiple launderings and the collar looks good with or without a tie. I would classify this shirt as light-weight, and some skin hue is barely visible. Without much texture or weight, I usually wear a tie with this shirt or make sure my suit has some pattern. This is the same shirt fabric as the Sky Bengal Stripe and other shirts marked as only "100% cotton".

Charles Tyrwhitt White Regency Weave
    • Softness: 3/5
    • Thickness: 3/5
    • Value: 3/5

Notes: Great texture that is not commonly found on dress shirts makes this one unique along with the semi-spread collar. Note for "wide heads" like myself, point collars are best, but this semi-spread is pretty conservative and looks good with or without a tie. This is a medium weight shirt, thus there is no visible skin hue or transparency. While not the softest shirt in the world, if you need a third white dress shirt in your rotation I would recommend this one.

Charles Tyrwhitt White Poplin
    • Softness: 4/5
    • Ease of Ironing: 5/5
    • Thickness: 2/5
    • Value: 4/5

Notes: While only the white version is currently available, if you live in the South I would highly recommend stocking up on the pink, blue, and lavender versions when available again. These shirts iron like a dream and make the heat bearable in the summer which is why I own four. On the flipside, owners of tattoos and dark body hair beware. You can visibly see skin hue with the white version, thus the pink, blue, and lavender have become my “go to” in the summer.

And just for comparison sake, the other staple that are usually on white dress shirt lists, the “uniform approved” white Oxford Cotton Button Down (OCBD)!

Uniqlo Slim Fit OCBD
    • Thickness: 4/5
    • Value: 5/5

Notes: For the price these shirts are terrific. I usually reserve these for weekends during the winter in Florida with jeans. However, I will iron and use the gray or white versions during trips to DC or New York along with my suit in an effort to stay warm in the fall and winter. My only caveat is the collars a bit weak for use with a tie.

Lands End Trim Fit Supima Hyde Park OCBD
    • Thickness: 11/5
    • Value: 3/5

Notes: "Tough, beefy, canvas" would all be adjectives for this shirt. While the softness has improved with multiple launderings, so has the onset of dingy grey. This shirt is definitely thick, has a decent collar roll (at least the version 3 years ago, Lands End is notorious for tweaking every season) and looks great when pressed. Would I buy again? Probably not after finding the Uniqlo’s above to be far more seasonal for Florida. If I lived in the North, I would probably probably stock up.

Made it this far and want to buy a shirt? As you thrifty Dappered’s already know the current promotion of http://www.ctshirts.com/neo will get you any of the CT Shirts listed above for $39.95 each and a free tie. Order now and they might be in by Christmas for New Years Eve. Slight exaggeration, but shipping from the UK takes forever when compared to Prime.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    Fantastic review! Thanks so much! Do you have any experience with BB or Nordstrom shirts to make a comparison?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Wow. Wish I saw this before I made my order!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    For BB I have a slim fit and it compares well with the CT herringbone, except softer. I did find the slim fit from CT to be trimmer than BB. I had three Nordstrom trim fit easy care shirts and while the fit was perfect, I found the material very thick and after one light ironing to lose all "breathability". During the summer it became akin to wearing burlap.