Thread: Twillory Shirt Review

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)

Twillory Shirt Review

DISCLAIMER: I was compensated for this post in the way of a free shirt

A couple of weeks ago, @Jake101 from Twillory asked me if I would be interested in selecting/reviewing a shirt from their current collection. I went with a spread collar blue bengal stripe, a somewhat staple piece that I didn't have in my wardrobe. Being in the middle of a move, it's taken me a bit longer to get to this than I'd like, but overall I'm impressed/pleased. I would also like to note that the shirt got to me in all of two days and the packaging/extras included are fantastic. The inclusion of metal collar stays and the wrapping seems luxurious and well done/attentive.

Construction
    No questions asked, this is an incredibly well made shirt. The cotton is soft and supple, but definitely durable, the mother of pearl buttons are genuine and well attached, and all of the stitching seems sturdy. These are my initial impressions after four or so wears. Also, it should be added that the shirt is at least as well, if not better, made than my Blank Label MTM shirts.

Fit
    At 6' 0" and ~180 lbs a 16.5x34-35 fits me perfectly. I generally wear a slim fit medium in most brands and my most common issue is neck sizes, as my neck is abnormally large. The shirt is long enough to stay tucked over a whole day with high armholes and a trim silhouette that should be flattering to most. This is their standard "tailored fit".

Pictures
    Last edited by Jshackleford; November 6th, 2014 at 02:28 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    And finally one with a full outfit

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    @Jshackleford Thanks for the awesome review! So glad you like the shirt!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake101 View Post
    @Jshackleford Thanks for the awesome review! So glad you like the shirt!
    No problem! I'm definitely looking forward to picking up one or two more.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    725 Post(s)
    would you be able to compare it to charles tyrwhitt, ratio or ledbury?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    would you be able to compare it to charles tyrwhitt, ratio or ledbury?
    Compared to CT it feels substantially nicer from the get go. CT makes awesome work horse shirts, but this is definitely in a different category. I don't own any Ledbury, but I do live near their retail location and from what I've tried they're about comparable. I have no experience with Ratio.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1033 Post(s)
    @Jake101 website seems to be down (database error?) and this is not the first time that this has happened when trying to get on the site.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    Hey @JBarwick,

Thanks for letting me know.

I've been on the phone all day with our hosting company trying to get this specific issue sorted out - crazy how that happens. It should be running a little better now.

We're going to change a few things - it'll be better soon!

Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    @Jake101 website seems to be down (database error?) and this is not the first time that this has happened when trying to get on the site.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Quoted
    560 Post(s)
    I received a shirt to try out as well. I didn't write a review since I thought my feedback was more for Jake101 himself, but I can add my thoughts here.

I chose the neck size and arm length for mine but the design and everything else was a surprise. The one I got was also a spread collar but had a red and blue checked/striped design. The shirt is quite nice and much better than what I was expecting. The material feels very smooth and high quality. The fit of the shirt was great. It was tailored without being too tight. It was just perfect without leaving excess material and blousing around the midsection. I'll try to post a pic in here the next time I wear it.

I went with a 15.5 neck and 34/35 arms. The neck felt a bit tight to me compared to some of the Nordstrom shirts I've purchased. If their sizing is consistent like this, I'd probably be more of a 15.75" neck size with them (although not sure if they offer 1/4 sizes). My main negative about the shirt (and this might be personal to just me) is that the body was a bit long. I'm 5'8" so I had a lot of extra material to tuck in which I don't like. It was similar to the length of BR's size M shirts or a JCrew or Jcrew Factory dress shirt in size M. I much prefer the length of the JC/JCF casual shirts since that is more of an appropriate length for me.

If not for the length of the body on the shirt, this might be my new go to company for shirts. They really are very high quality and I loved the fit of it. I liked the design I received too and have since been to their site and see a few unique ones I would love to own. Not sure if they're still running the 2 shirt for $99 promo they had a few weeks ago, but at that price I'd definitely recommend picking them up.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    217 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshackleford View Post
    Compared to CT it feels substantially nicer from the get go. CT makes awesome work horse shirts, but this is definitely in a different category. I don't own any Ledbury, but I do live near their retail location and from what I've tried they're about comparable. I have no experience with Ratio.
    I'm going to argue this, CT Sea Island is softer and is lighter feeling more appropriate for summer wear, it does have a slightly more noticable sheen appearance to it. Both have the added MOP buttons and not thin collars, plus added collar stays. But saying it's in a different category is just rubbish and a very misleading remark, I'd have it the other way around giving edge to CT Sea Island. If I had read this review and ordered Twillory with the expectations that this new $80 shirt is leagues above my $100 shirt I'd be going "Maybe they changed materials, it feels similar not a world above"

CT's shirts that are half the price; I'd say Twillory's fabric is thicker and stronger if it is indeed %100 Long staple cotton as advertised, which should last longer compared to regular cotton CT. The added MOP buttons as a nice touch on Twillory's side. I don't think I'd go as far as telling people to write off CT in this case either, I had quite a hard time deciding if CT Regular cotton vs CT Sea Island vs Twillory was best "feeling".

Would I recommend trying Twillory? Yup (and I did in my review), but if CT had a shirt in a colour I wanted I wouldn't hesitate, it just might not last as long and buttons wouldn't look as good.

Just trying to keep expectations reasonable here, nothing worse than having a product hyped up and then not meeting expectations.
    Last edited by shad0w4life; November 6th, 2014 at 05:31 PM.