Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Main site comments down?

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    I wonder if it's possible to set commenting up like pre-screened security for the TSA. (Yes, I am using the TSA as a reference for good practices. We are all going straight to hell.)

You know, separate commenters into two populations - pre-approved commenters who have a history of good conduct, whose comments will be published without oversight. And the general commenters, whose comments are flagged for moderation before being published. Ideally these classes of commenters could be manually manipulated, so a troll who posts a few nice comments to get pre-approved can be un-pre-approved if they start posting abusive comments.

If this were feasible, it seems like it would cut down on the tedium of having to read and approve every single comment before it got published.

My main concern is that the comments and the sense of interactive community are such an integral part of the Dappered.com experience that the website will suffer without them.
    Ben

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Very unfortunate, but I understand Joe / the mod-squad's decision -- I've modded sites before and it is tiresome when you have to babysit everything. Particularly unfortunate that they decided to focus on Beth's and Amber's input, as I believe (and still do) that the Dappered community as a whole is rather appreciative of their efforts and also not sexist.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Perhaps requiring posters to use their real name would help. That, along with some more significant user validation requirements (email, phone, tying into Facebook, G+, etc).
    Artofmanliness also does it pretty interestingly. You have to be approved to join, and in order to be approved you have to fill out a whole page of personal information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I would offer that this is could sort of be an expected failure of a drop-in system like Disqus that tries to facilitate having one account across a lot of communities.

A dappered-only discussion framework would make it more difficult for a couple sociopaths to either discover dappered on their own or follow a user here from some other community.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    You know, separate commenters into two populations - pre-approved commenters who have a history of good conduct, whose comments will be published without oversight. And the general commenters, whose comments are flagged for moderation before being published. Ideally these classes of commenters could be manually manipulated, so a troll who posts a few nice comments to get pre-approved can be un-pre-approved if they start posting abusive comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by P J View Post
    That, along with some more significant user validation requirements (email, phone, tying into Facebook, G+, etc).
    Artofmanliness also does it pretty interestingly. You have to be approved to join, and in order to be approved you have to fill out a whole page of personal information.
    Quote Originally Posted by theYeti View Post
    A dappered-only discussion framework would make it more difficult for a couple sociopaths to either discover dappered on their own or follow a user here from some other community.
    I think a combination of these ideas could potentially be the solution.

Mods, can you shed some light on whether you intend to re-open the comments in the near future?
    My measurements, for context--> Body Type: Slim/Skinny |​ Weight: 175 lbs | Height: 6'1" | Neck: 16” | Chest: 40” | Waist: 33.5” | Shoulder: 18.75” | Sleeve: 35.5” | Bicep: 12.75” | Wrist: 6.75”

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Speaking as a forum mod only, I can say that we forum mods do not have any authority or control over the main site, including the comments section.
    Ben

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I wonder if it's possible to set commenting up like pre-screened security for the TSA. (Yes, I am using the TSA as a reference for good practices. We are all going straight to hell.)

If this were feasible, it seems like it would cut down on the tedium of having to read and approve every single comment before it got published.

My main concern is that the comments and the sense of interactive community are such an integral part of the Dappered.com experience that the website will suffer without them.
    This is what FB and Google were thinking of when they wanted to enforce a real name policy for their respective social networks. The (uninformed?) backlash put an end to that!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Whoa, I really hope my 'douchy scarf' comment wasn't taken as one of these unpleasant comments!

Quote Originally Posted by bruschetta View Post
    Dappered's comments section has been targeted by a high number of truly unpleasant people over the past few weeks. A group of people have been leaving highly offensive comments after every article. The comments include insults, personal attacks, and other overwhelmingly negative statements. This group of men paid special attention to the articles written by Beth and Amber.

Dappered's staff can moderate this behavior to some degree, but it isn't a pleasant job. It's both disturbing and depressing to see this side of people.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    I haven't actively read the site in a few months, so I'm not saying there wasn't some sort of malicious attack...

...but, I experienced an extremely intolerant/excessive level of moderation when I was regularly reading/commenting on the blog. I posted a comment to the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale article in which I misstated the price of Park Aves in 2012 and suggested that a the article could or should have mentioned another deal that was available at the time. Rather than rebutting or just deleting the comment, Joe permanently banned me for this reason, which I confirmed with him via email.

My point is that it seems to me like he/they were trying to control the tone of comments to an excessive degree and probably decided it is just easier to not allow comments at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Not a regular poster here, but I frequent the comments section quite a bit. I really appreciate the comments, especially regarding fit and such, and also alternative deals if you can't afford the $1500 watch or Allen Edmonds that are posted in every article

I understand that you have to keep the negative nancies out, but it would be great if you could switch to another format that required a confirmed email address to sign up or something, as that might help to keep down on trolls. Other forums I frequent require a forum login to post comments on articles.

Anyways, getting rid of comments and making the articles "read only" is going to prevent a lot of people from continuing to follow the site, perhaps myself included.