Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Main site comments down?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    212 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    So I just noticed that there's now a not to "continue the conversation" via twitter, Facebook, or the forums. I don't remember that from when the comments were first dropped. Seems like a good indication that comments are not coming back.

How many of you guys are using tapatalk vs just your browser for the forums. Tapatalk gets pretty lousy reviews on iTunes Store. Is it worth it?
    I use Tapatalk, and it makes following conversations a lot easier, IMO. It does crash on me all the time, on both iOS (phone) and Android (tablet), so I can understand the negative reviews. It also doesn't show polls (which only really matters for the Friday Challenges). I can live with those shortcomings and limitations, though.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)
    +1 for Tapatalk, if you're on forums. It handles the two or three of mine really well, and my version (iOS) doesn't crash.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    -1 onTapatalk. Maybe it's just me, but I found it very confusing, and requires multiple taps to get where you want to go. Mobile browser or laptop is much easier for me.

Also, I think I agree with the previous poster who said Joe might be planning on selling the site. It looks like he is pulling back in preparation for that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCDR View Post
    -1 onTapatalk. Maybe it's just me, but I found it very confusing, and requires multiple taps to get where you want to go. Mobile browser or laptop is much easier for me.

Also, I think I agree with the previous poster who said Joe might be planning on selling the site. It looks like he is pulling back in preparation for that.
    Whaty is to be gained from someone buying the site? Maybe a brand will buy it as a turnkey community. I think JCF or AE would be good choices as the site is littered with posts on both brands.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bremersm View Post
    Whaty is to be gained from someone buying the site? Maybe a brand will buy it as a turnkey community. I think JCF or AE would be good choices as the site is littered with posts on both brands.
    I'd be shocked if a clothing brand would buy a site like Dappered. Just doesn't make sense, as the content covers many other brands/topics. It'd most likely be another style blog or blog consolidation website, in which case they'd probably try to keep Joe on and possibly slowly add other contributors to lessen his role eventually.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    Buyer gets an instant ready-made base of readers and a list of email addresses. Doesn't need to spend years building up readership. Employ a group of low paid contributors. Slap on some more ads and bring in revenue. Popularity will eventually decline, but buyer is betting on increased ad revenue to compensate.

Whoever buys it, I hope they keep the forums going.

Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2098 Post(s)
    IMO this speculation about Joe selling the site is just that - speculation. Until I see actual evidence otherwise, I don't see any reason to believe that the given explanation for removing the comments (namely, to preemptively pull the plug on increasingly numerous and abusive comments trolls) is not truthful.

Do I wish Joe had been more publicly transparent about the decision to pull the comments? Yes. Do I wish Joe had opted for some less drastic solution that would have preserved the comments section in some form? Yes. Do I believe Joe is merely sanitizing the site and trying to pull the wool over the readership's eyes in anticipation of selling the website? Not until I see convincing evidence supporting that conclusion. Casual speculation, even when it is reasonable and not maliciously-intended, does not convince me.
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I don't post much, but I visit the site frequently. I'm logging on just to say that I'm really hoping the comments section comes back.

I felt that the comments section always added a lot of value to the postings, and I find myself less and less excited to check the site the longer comments aren't around.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)
    Now the main site blogs are down, too!? #RIPjoe <3

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LCDR View Post
    Buyer gets an instant ready-made base of readers and a list of email addresses.
    Dappered will never share readers' email addresses with advertisers. Period. It angers me that you suspect that highly unethical behavior of Dappered. I almost deleted your post, but I felt it important to nip this in the bud.

This is a warning. Please do not create imaginative scenarios where Dappered engages in malicious behavior towards its readers. It's a discourteous move on your part.

Quote Originally Posted by mcadamsandwich View Post
    Now the main site blogs are down, too!? #RIPjoe <3
    Joe was just coordinating an awesome giveaway with Orient. They've graciously offered to give away a new model, the Sun and Moon. The post is up on the main site as I write this.