Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For those with LARGE thighs

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)

For those with LARGE thighs

So I have a pretty difficult time finding cuts of pants with adequate thigh room. I am hoping that this thread can be a resource for those with actual large thighs. Myself, I am 6'4", ~210 lbs and have 26" circumference thighs with a good size booty too. The hard part is that we may have different ideas of what 'good' fit is. I am going for a tailored looking fit without a ton of extra material but where I can still move around and the pants aren't skin tight. I see a lot of people that saying they have large thighs and are wearing slim/skinny fits. YEAH RIGHT! If I tried to wear slim fit I would have to size up a TON in the waist just to get them all the way up. Here is what I currently have in my closet and my comments.

Jeans:
    Older (bought ~2012 from outlet) levis 505, 33x34 - fit on these is great, favorite jeans
    Newer (bought ~2014 from Macys) levis 505 33x34 - almost skin tight in the thighs, limits movement to sit/squat down. Seat, waist and below the knee all fit great. I wish these fit like the other pair I have, I love the wash. (can jeans be let out?)
    GAP Standard fit 33x34 - fit PERFECTwhen I first got them, wore a few times and stretched out significantly, seem to be baggier all around than I remember from first try on. Also, wider around the ankle than I like.

Chinos:
    GAP straight fit 33x34 and 34x34: 33's are spot on at the waist but a bit tight on the thighs (skin tight when I sit down), 34's are a bit loose on the waist but a little better in the thighs.
    Banana Gavin Fit, 34x34 a bit loose on the waist but they fit great. my favorite chinos.

Cords:
    H&M regular fit 34x34: a bit tight on the thighs, fit well everywhere else.
    Banana vintage straight 35x34. Bought these a bit big in the waist to give my thighs some breathing room. They are ok with a belt, maybe i'll get them taken in.

I can try to get some photos of the fits tomorrow night.

What do you guys wear for dressier pants/trousers? I am having a hard time deciding if what I have is good enough or if I need to keep searching for better fits. I am trying to stay away from having to buy for the thighs and tailor the waist AND leg below thigh. One or the other wouldn't be bad.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    I see a lot of people that saying they have large thighs and are wearing slim/skinny fits. YEAH RIGHT!
    I'm 5'9", 150 lbs, with 25" thighs. I wear slim fit pants. Sorry 'bout it.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I'm 5'9", 150 lbs, with 25" thighs. I wear slim fit pants. Sorry 'bout it.
    More power to you I guess. So do you size up in the waist or just rock the pants skin tight? All the slims ive tried on make my thighs feel like overstuffed sausages.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2080 Post(s)
    I wear maybe a size or two larger than my natural waist would take. And a belt. Always a belt.

Honestly, I can't wear "straight leg" pants. My butt and thighs are so big that any pant that doesn't taper will end up looking almost like bell bottoms that swallow my shoes. Plus my lower body would look like two solid Greek columns sprouting from my hips.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    92 Post(s)
    I can see straight legs being too wide but most of my footwear is more casual so it works ok. The chinos or jeans I have aren't the best with my wingtip shoes. The tapered offerings I've tried are hard to get around my calf. And if I sit down and then get back up, the pant gets stuck high on my calf and has to be pulled down. Or else I'm rocking high waters with a bunch of fabric below the knee.

What fits are you wearing? Anyone else want to chime in?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    37 Post(s)
    I can relate, especially the line about when you sit down the lower leg of the pants hangs on your calves. I'm 5'10", 180lbs with between 25-26" thighs (haven't measured in a while). Sprinting is my main activity (combined with weights to add power) so I suffer from the same big thighs and a high/big butt! Finding pants that are wearable yet don't make me look like it's 1997 is almost impossible, but I've found a few things that have worked well. For cords, I really like straight fit ones at Gap...even for a straight fit, they are still slimmer (but not too slim). I bought a couple more this year and have been very pleased with the fit (with no need to size up in waist). For jeans, I like to switch between the Levis 513 and 514. The 513's, honestly, are hit or miss....some of the washes are VERY tight, while the two pairs I own (a barely faded blue and white) are definitely slim, but not crazy tight. I usually wear my 514 dark denim with blazers/sportcoats b/c the straight leg gives a more polished look. In each of these cases of jeans, there is some degree of spandex woven into the jean. While I know some people would rather die than wear denim with any spandex in them, for muscular legs like ours it is the BEST. The reason being you get that expansion when you need it, but then it comes back to normal shape when you don't. Every pair of regular 100% cotton jeans I've owned stretch out way too much after even just one wearing.

For chinos, I've actually had good luck with the Photographer chinos from Express. I believe they also have some amount of stretch to them, which really makes them comfortable.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    @Creature -- Always like hearing from other people's experience with this as well. You are about 2 inches taller than me but our waistline and thigh measurements are the same. I had the same experience with the GAP straight fit when I sat down. So uncomfortable they went back immediately. I think some of that had to do with the low rise as well, but not sure. I am getting ready to purchase some of the new Levi's 541 Jeans to try them out as they have a relaxed seat but taper pretty nice I've read and they have a bit of spandex in them for stretch. I've seen people say to size down in waist one size for that reason. Also, I am getting ready to try out some sizes in the Bowery Slim Chino from JCrew. I tried the normal Bowery and the 34 and 35 waist were still too tight when sitting, but I had a rep send me the size chart and the Bowery Slim actually has more room in the seat than the standard Bowery which I thought was a little strange but will see if it helps. The taper below the knee is good on the slim as well. Will have to check out the Banana Republic Gavin since you had a good experience with those. Never tried them on. Thanks for the post. Hope this helps a little.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)
    I am much shorter than you, but am in the 26" range. I've had luck with Docker Alpha standard fit. They aren't as easy to find as the other cuts, which are too tight for me to wear. The standard version is fitting though, and the leg tapers.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DapperedHoo View Post
    @Creature -- Always like hearing from other people's experience with this as well. You are about 2 inches taller than me but our waistline and thigh measurements are the same. I had the same experience with the GAP straight fit when I sat down. So uncomfortable they went back immediately. I think some of that had to do with the low rise as well, but not sure. I am getting ready to purchase some of the new Levi's 541 Jeans to try them out as they have a relaxed seat but taper pretty nice I've read and they have a bit of spandex in them for stretch. I've seen people say to size down in waist one size for that reason. Also, I am getting ready to try out some sizes in the Bowery Slim Chino from JCrew. I tried the normal Bowery and the 34 and 35 waist were still too tight when sitting, but I had a rep send me the size chart and the Bowery Slim actually has more room in the seat than the standard Bowery which I thought was a little strange but will see if it helps. The taper below the knee is good on the slim as well. Will have to check out the Banana Republic Gavin since you had a good experience with those. Never tried them on. Thanks for the post. Hope this helps a little.
    I have very large thighs (27") thanks to powerlifting & bodybuilding, with a smaller (34") waist.

I can vouch for the new Levi's 541 - I just picked up a pair, and it's the first pair of jeans that I could actually fit correctly in the waist without having billowing fabric around the legs. I will say, however, that the ankle opening is pretty aggressive - I could never wear them with boots without it looking odd (IMHO).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    I have 26" soccer thighs. The levi's 541 are awesome as well as the blake fit jeans at express. For chinos and dress i like the Haggar straight fit from Target, they have the perfect amount of room in the thigh.