Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Cheaper alternatives to the Alden Indy boot

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tnjyoung View Post
    TJ I though this was me replying...Our names are too close!
    Ha! That's pretty funny. Haven't seen a username so close to mine before.

On the topic of this discussion though...I've had a pair of Kenton Pacer's sitting in my cart for 2 days now but didn't pull the trigger. Now they're gone. Better off so.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjyoung View Post
    But would it be worth $75 (or $64 if you get them in-store with student discount)? That's a pretty (really) good price.
    Again, that's subjective. To someone without the financial means to afford $500 Indys, a $75 pair of Indy clones is a good deal. But, for those of us that know better, that's $75 wasted on an inferior product that will fall apart. And make no mistake, they will fall apart. The $500 spent on a pair of Indys will make it a lifetime purchase, and to me that's the added value.

But every product is manufactured differently and with different materials. There are plenty of inexpensive clothing options in the world and they'll all produce different results. I have cheap flannel shirts from Target that are still going strong after 5 yrs of wear. Likewise with denim, jackets, socks, etc. The one thing I won't skimp on is shoes and leather goods

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjyoung View Post
    But would it be worth $75 (or $64 if you get them in-store with student discount)? That's a pretty (really) good price.
    It really depends on how much each dollar is worth to you. Given that you're a student, you probably have a million more important things to do with the other $425 dollars you'd save by not spending it on Aldens. At $64-75 you're in disposable shoe range anyway, so as long as the quality isn't completely awful, I'd say go for it. You might not get much more than a year or two, depending on how much you abuse them, but you get what you pay for. I personally do not care for either the Pacer or the Indy, though I know I'm in the minority on the last one.