Thread: How's this for a deal for my first real suit?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)

Question How's this for a deal for my first real suit?

Super 100, Claiborne slim suit in charcoal pinstripe. After all the fuss about the now discontinued Claiborne, I spent a little time in a JCPenney at lunch today trying on for size. The 42L was obviously it, and will need minimal tailor work if it fits as expected. Sadly 95% of what was there was poly, and the few wool models either weren't in my size or weren't my desired color range (charcoal or blue). I'm 6'2", 205, heavily muscled but thin for frame.

Back to the office, shopped for a few minutes online and found this. 42L and 34/34 pants. The pants will need work to take them in, likely.

$119 to the door with tax. Code is 25HOURS, gets 25% off orders over $100. Came to $109 pre-tax.

FYI, there are still a good variety of sizes left in this model, but as far as I can tell, it's ONLY this model that has much left.

Upside is that if it isn't what it's cracked up to be, I can return it locally.

http://www.jcpenney.com/suits-sportc...140b8/cat.jump

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    107 Post(s)
    Pinstriped. No. Pinstripes is the only pattern that increases formality, and it's heavily associated with business. It's not a versatile suit for the first purchase.

Go with a solid colour. I favor navy, most people say charcoal grey. I recommend something from Combatant Gentleman.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)
    I'm an Okie. A suit is a suit is a suit.

Okay, not really, and I am trying to change my ways a bit. But truthfully, the only places we wear suits are church. A little formal is okay there. May well wind up being too uptight looking, but I think this and a nice blue from CG will be the two I go with. I'll likely be in a suit 6-8 days a month.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    I think the pinstripe is fine. Not ideal, but fine. If you're going to be suited 6-8 days a month, you'll probably want to find at least one or two more suits, ideally in solid navy or charcoal, that will be your "main" suits.

If you're new to the suit business, finding a good fit is really the most important thing.
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1114 Post(s)
    I am not a fan of stripes myself. increases formality and limits your choices in tie/shirt patterns.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Personally I like pinstripes. But as your only suit, people are more likely to notice that you're always wearing the same suit if it has a pattern than if it was a solid charcoal or navy.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Quoted
    119 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onerany View Post
    Personally I like pinstripes. But as your only suit, people are more likely to notice that you're always wearing the same suit if it has a pattern than if it was a solid charcoal or navy.
    In short order it won't be my only suit. I do actually have another (olive color poly/wool blend), though it's nothing special and definitely needs some attention from a tailor despite being the right size. I'll probably spend the money to do that as it's worth the effort in my view. I'll be buying a third something in a slim fit solid blue likely from CG within six weeks or so. So the pinstripe won't be lonely for very long.

I do appreciate the feedback from everyone. Pinstripes or no, I'm at least glad that nobody has as yet blasted the suit choice based on materials or pointed out something obvious that I've missed that makes it not a solid deal after all.