Thread: I need your feedback on a guide that I'm making for affordable men's fashion.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Post I need your feedback on a guide that I'm making for affordable men's fashion.

Recently we launched a new site, famousoutfits.com, that is focusing on affordable men's fashion. Each day we feature a new celebrity, break down the style, and show where to find each item affordably. To grow our mailing list, we are creating and giving away The MANual: Fifteen Wardrobe Essentials. The MANual will be a beautifully designed, interactive PDF that includes 15 clothing items that should be in every man's wardrobe. For each of these 15 items, we are providing an affordable good, better, and best quality option.

I would love to hear your thoughts on The MANual. Are there items that should/shouldn't be included on the list? Do you feel there is a better choice for the good, better, and best option we included?

We just ask that you keep three things in mind when going through The MANual. . .

We realize that going to a thrift store or scouring eBay can uncover some amazing clothes at unbelievable prices. However, the aim of this resource is to make all the items instantly accessible. Unfortunately, the thrift store and eBay route often require much time and patience to get the items you're after.
    We want great clothing options available without having to wait for a coupon code, end of season sale, or friends and family discount. While the options in The MANual can be even cheaper with coupon codes, we wanted to give people affordable options immediately without having to wait for a specific sale.
    We choose not to pick a good, better, and best option for the "jacket." Because the jacket category is so broad, we choose instead to pick three different jackets that would be a great addition to any man's closet.

We looking forward to hearing what you think about The MANual.

The MANual: Fifteen Wardrobe Essentials

An Outside Jacket Parka - H&M Short Parka $59.95 // Denim - Levi's Trucker Jacker $66.90 // Wool - Uniqlo Peacoat $99.90

Crewneck Sweater Good - Forever21 Slouchy Crew Neck Sweater $14.00 // Better - Uniqlo Extra Fine Merino Crew Neck Sweater $29.90 // Best - J.Crew Factory Merino Crewneck Sweater $38.50

Navy Blue Wool Suit Good: JCPenney Stafford Super 100 $189.99 // Better: Macy's Bar III Slim Fit 249.98 // Best: J.Crew Factory Thompson Double Vent Jacket & Pants $316

White Dress Shirt Good - Kirkland Signature Tailored Fit Shirt $17.99 // Better - JCPenney Stafford Executive Fitted Shirt $24.99 // Best - Nordstrom Smartcare Trim Fit Shirt $49.99

Solid Color Zip-Up Hoodie Good - Hanes Premium Hoodie $12.49 // Better - Uniqlo Long Sleeve Hoodie $29.90 // Best - American Apparel Dov's Hoodie $36.40

A Dark Colored, Convervative Tie Good - Tie Bar Repp Tie $14.99 // Better - J.Crew Factory Pindot Tie $19.50 // Best - Charles Tyrwhitt Woven Tie $49.99

Dark, No Pleated Khakis Good - Gap Classic Khaki $29.47 // Better - J.Crew Factory Sutton Broken-in Chino $35.50 // Best - Docker's Alpha Khaki $44.99

Dark, Straight-Legged, Unblemished Blue Jeans Good - Levi's 514 Straight Jeans $29.00 // Better - J.Crew Sutton Jeans $38.50 // Best - Gap 1969 Slim Fit Jeans 48.27

Brown Leather Shoe Good - Bostonian Quarry $69.97 // Better - Florsheim Castellano Wing Oxford - Saddle Tan $87.50 // Best #1 - Beckett Simonon Cohen Loafers $144.99 // Best #2 - John Doe Bennington Oxford $152.00

Brown Leather Belt Good - Perry Ellis Full-Grain Leather Belt 24.99 // Better - Florsheim Full Grain Classic Hand Crafted Leather Belt $34.99 // Best #1 - Orion Latigo Leather Belt $44.60 // Best #2 - The Single-Sided Belt $45.00

Canvas Sneakers Good - Vans Authentic - $42.00 // Better - Sperry Striper CVO - $53.95 // Best - Jack Purcell Converse - $59.95

Solid Color Oxford Button Down Shirt Good - Old Navy Oxford Shirt $20.00 // Better - Uniqlo Oxford Long Sleeve Shirt $29.90 // Best - Everlane Slim Fit Oxford $55.00

Solid, Fitted Crewneck T-Shirt Good - Old Navy Classic Crewneck $6.00 // Better - Uniqlo Supima Cotton Crewneck $12.90 // Best - Everlane Cotton Crew $15.00

Classic Watch Good - Timex Weekender $34.80 // Better - Seiko 5 Automatic Watch with Black Canvas Strap $59.00 // Best - Seiko Stainless Steel with Leather Band $78.08

Gray Blazer Good - H&M Melange Blazer $69.95 // Better - Stafford Merino Wool Sport Coat - Gray Donegal $69.99 // Best - J.Crew Factory Thompson Sport Coat $108.50

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    First off, that's going to be obsolete pretty soon, because a lot of the items you listed (Anything from H&M, Forever 21) will not be in stores in 3 months.

Second, you mention "beautiful design" a lot between this post and your site, but either your site is incomplete, or it's incompatible with IE and Chrome; just a heads up.

Finally, even your "best" tier is pretty low end; I'm not sure what your target demographic is here, but suggesting "Best" shoes of BS or "Best" blazers of JCF is kind of low.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    Who is your target market?
    What situations are these 15 items supposed to fill?
    I'm not saying any of these are inherently bad options, but why did you pick these specific items?
    Is the ranking strictly on price?

Judging by prices and brands, this seems geared towards high school and college students basing clothing decisions solely off of price. Again, I'm not saying any of this is wrong - I'm just trying to understand the why behind the what, as I'm sure your readers would also enjoy.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)
    1. I found the site to work on Chrome.
    2. You may need to give photos a reference instead of just stealing them? Seems like some sort of legal issue.
    3. I would almost state in this MANual that these are the "price tiers" and these are brands within those ranges. Like someone said above, clothing goes stale fast.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    @Mikey

First off, that's going to be obsolete pretty soon, because a lot of the items you listed (Anything from H&M, Forever 21) will not be in stores in 3 months.
    Very true. We plan on constantly updating it for new styles and seasonal items. It's going to be a constant work in progress.

Second, you mention "beautiful design" a lot between this post and your site, but either your site is incomplete, or it's incompatible with IE and Chrome; just a heads up.
    Specifically what issues are you seeing on IE and Chrome. We would like to get them fixed asap.

Finally, even your "best" tier is pretty low end; I'm not sure what your target demographic is here, but suggesting "Best" shoes of BS or "Best" blazers of JCF is kind of low.
    Our aim is affordability. That is why in some of the categories there isn't a huge gap in price. We're looking at the people that would consider a $10 difference jump in price a deal breaker. We know we can't reach everyone because clothing has such huge difference in quality, price, and taste.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jadapper View Post
    Specifically what issues are you seeing on IE and Chrome. We would like to get them fixed asap.
    The problem went away once I routed it through a "secure" browser; it probably has to do more with my computer's protection settings. Although the text under your pictures is blocked taller than it is wide; I'd suggest doing it the other way around.

Also, what makes you different from the hundreds of other men's affordable style sites out there, such as this one?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    @jadapper,

I like your concept but the execution is fraught with peril. There's quite a few variables out there which can severely affect your tiers. First, define affordable. What income bracket is your target audience? What segment of the male population are you trying to reach? What aesthetics does your target audience value? I see this concept better executed as a continuing forum thread or a blog post (such as Joe's dress shirt guide) rather than the core of your website.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Also, what makes you different from the hundreds of other men's affordable style sites out there, such as this one?
    This is what I want to know.

Regards,
    Vic
    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    @jadapper, I'm not sure how I feel about you advertising a direct competitor to Dappered on the forums. I'm going to refer this one up the chain. In the future, please contact Dappered before making threads along this line.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks, @bruschetta. I've moved this to the Dealers & Manufacturers thread with the other promotional stuff.

Gents, if you want to continue the discussion, please head over to Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/web_design/c...soutfits_blog/