Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooking!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I've noticed a reasonably strong correlation between well dressed people and ability to cook, so I was wondering how many people here enjoy the culinary arts?

Do you have a specific reason for cooking, any specialties?

I personally cook just because I like good food, and apparently I make a good clam chowder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Dunno if there's a correlation but I love to cook and I'm pretty good at it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Absolutely hate it. Just don't have the desire or patience for it :x

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)

I'm an ok cook, nothing spectacular. I at least know the basics and can fend for myself, unlike a lot of people in my age group (25). My French onion soup seems to be pretty popular among the people who've tried it. I also enjoy making simple dishes from scratch, like macaroni and cheese with my own from-scratch cheese sauce.

I'm also pretty well-known among my friends for my quick breads and baked desserts. Almond poppy cake is something of a specialty.

I like recipes that are so simple I can just memorize them and keep them in my mind forever. My apple charlotte, for example, is 3 apples, 3 eggs, 1 C sugar, 1 C flour, a splash of lemon juice and a pinch of baking soda. Simple but tasty.

Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

See I don't use recipes at all. I just cook by feel, smell, and taste.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I cook because it's my job. My white chocolate bread pudding with whiskey sauce was pretty popular this evening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I also cook by flavour and taste - haven't got the patience to follow a recipe except in "concept", so I never bake cakes, etc that require precise ingredients.

Love asian flavours - Sth East / Chinese & Indian, and a trip to the USA two years ago was a revelation regarding fresh-flavoured Mexican-style food - before this my exposure was heavy Tex-Mex with lots of cheese.

Can manage a fairly nice clam chowder and a seductive Bouillabaisse as well.

And the Dishwasher is my favourite kitchen appliance!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

For what it's worth, Art of Manliness has some great recipes. Their Cioppino was a huge hit a few weeks ago!

http://artofmanliness.com/2010/11/02...d-the-country/

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

I love to cook. I think recipes are a great place for inspiration, but I rarely follow them as written.

I particularly like to cook all varieties of Asian food. If you can master Asian food, you can cook anything, IMO. It is all about balance of flavors and is the perfect way to learn how to discern what types of flavors are needed in a dish.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    76 Post(s)

I love cooking and rather shocked we never spoke of this before. Last night (my wife; who is a great cook in her own right, and I split cooking duties during the week) i made shoe string potato fries using russet potatoes and oven baked cariibean fried chicken, it looked and tasted like fried spicy chicken but it was made in the oven under 375 degrees and TLC...lol...I think there is a correlation becasue we are astethically driven...

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
    I>0<I