Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just bought my first pair of 1000 mile boot, how should I protect them?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    @JGL do you know exactly what product he's using on the sole in that first video?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    A good cleaning and some neatsfoot occasionally for the two pair I have.

CXL is already pretty oily and resistant to stuff, so i wouldn't worry about having to maintain them often.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joedet View Post
    @JGL do you know exactly what product he's using on the sole in that first video?
    I do not. But I read that Wolverine doesn't recommend a particular brand (probably why they took so much care in hiding the labels in the video) so any lotion conditioner you trust should be fine.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Zombie thread rebirth...

So both the 1000 mile McCleans and the Iron Rangers are on the Nordstrom sale again this year - $259 and $199 respectively.

I'm leaning toward the McCleans as I don't have a need for a true work boot. Any comments from the posters above and anyone else as to how the 1000 milers are holding up and how the care refimen is going?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    245 Post(s)
    A few months ago there was a thread of pics of our worn chromexcel. I put up my one year old courtlands, pretty good looking if I may say so.
    I used neats foot twice last year, venetian shoe cream every 2 months.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    I bout the McCleans last year and they're still doing well. There's some abrasion wear on the sides, but that's CXL for you. It'll buff out nicely. I can post picture later if you would like. The only thing I don't like about my pair is that the laces are rather soft when compared to my Addisons (another 1000 Mile Boot). Please let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
    Vic
    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1461 Post(s)
    Revising this thread as I was given a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers for Christmas and want to make sure they are protected before I wear them. Any suggestions?

The climate I live in is wet. We get a lot of rain during the year so it is not unusual to be caught out in the rain and/or walking through puddles here and there.

I ordered Saphir Renovateur online and I was planning on putting some of this one the boots (as I could have sworn I read this was good advice somewhere) but was wondering if I need anything else. What about Red Wing products? Monk oil? Other stuff?

Thanks for your help/suggestions.