Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jacket and Shirt sleeves

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

Question Jacket and Shirt sleeves

Perhaps I am just uninformed, or my choice in tailor is that terrible...

I cannot seem to get a balance between jacket & shirt sleeve lengths so that just a bit of my shirt cuff peeks, without the shirt sleeve creeping out too far as I move around--a la Mexico's coach during the World Cup

It's probably a pipe-dream, but Daniel Craig's suiting in the Bond films is the ideal set-up.

Is it a mixture of the sleeves' diameters? a shoulder padding issue? What do I need to know for when I purchase my next suit?

Thanks in advance

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    316 Post(s)
    When you're relaxed (arms on your side), the cuffs of the shirt sit at the right position because of either: the sleeves are short enough, or the cuffs are narrow enough.

In your case, I suspect you have extra length on your sleeves, that when you do the mexican coach pose, the suit sleeves are pulled, but not your shirt sleeves.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    283 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3piece View Post
    In your case, I suspect you have extra length on your sleeves, that when you do the mexican coach pose, the suit sleeves are pulled, but not your shirt sleeves.
    I suspect it's this. I've two shirts that are identical except for sleeve length--one is a 35, the other a 36. It's only a one-inch different, but I always get Mexican-soccer arms (new term?) when I wear the 36. No problems at all with the 35.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    Usually, my shirt sleeves stick out .5 - .75 inches when I am relaxed.

But when I'm giving the Sieg Heil salute, more of the shirt sticks out, which is fine.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Let them stick out a little. As long as you don't have mexican soccer arms while standing or shaking hands you are fine. Don't think too much about it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    I imagine that part of that is the coach being outrageously exuberant, and Bond is not.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    So should the shirt sleeve move with the jacket to keep that appearance?

To make sure you get right length do you tailor your sleeves with a straight arm, relaxed arm, or bent arm?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    And does structure of the shoulder play in to this at all? 007 jackets all seem to have minimal padding in the shoulder to accentuate the shape his physique already has

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    315 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tairby View Post
    And does structure of the shoulder play in to this at all? 007 jackets all seem to have minimal padding in the shoulder to accentuate the shape his physique already has
    Tom Ford jackets usually have more structured shoulders, not less.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tairby View Post
    Is it a mixture of the sleeves' diameters? a shoulder padding issue? What do I need to know for when I purchase my next suit?
    Your answer lies in the armhole of the suit jacket. If the jacket armhole is lower than the shirt armhole (as in most cases it is), the jacket arm has less freedom of movement, so the jacket sleeves ride up when the arm is moved vertically. The shirt sleeves don't pull back as much because the shirt has higher armholes.

Look for a suit with a high armhole. The armpit of the suit should hug in under your own armpit. It makes it more difficult to put the suit on or take it off, but it gives the arms more range of motion. The sleeves won't ride up as much, and the sides of the jacket will stay closer to your body as you moves your arms.

See the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs of this post: http://thesuitsofjamesbond.com/?p=4671