Thread: Sizing Weirdness

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Sizing Weirdness

Hey all,

Just discovered the Dappered community and I'm so glad to have found a group of like-minded gentlemen when it comes to personal style! I have a question that's been bugging me for a while now. I have several older suits and blazers handed down to me by my dad or acquired at the local thrift shop, as well as one suit of my own (Egara) and a navy blazer (Calvin Klein). The older stuff from dad and the thrift shop is regular fit, and the suit and blazer I bought for myself are both slim fit. All are 40R, 32/3/4 waist and 32 length in the pants. All were tailored and fit me great. But I'm 6' 1.5," 190lb, and it seems weird to me that suits my 5' 9" 160lb dad wore fit me with just a bit of tailoring to make the shoulders roomier and take in at the waist/lengthen pants. I've only ever heard of guys between, say, 5' 8" and 5' 11" wearing a 40R, and according to the "recommended" size for someone of my dimensions, I'd be about a 42L. So my question is, is this amount of variation in sizing normal? Could it be that I just have an abnormally long neck that makes me taller? And, should I order a 40R when buying online despite the recommendations of innumerable online sizing charts that tell me it's going to be too small?

Thanks for taking a look, and please let me know what you think.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    I'm about your size and I wear a 40r or 41r in most brands, if you have the ability, try on as many brands as you can to see the difference. Also, have your tailor take your measurements and then write down or memorize those

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper Wetherbee View Post
    Hey all,

Just discovered the Dappered community and I'm so glad to have found a group of like-minded gentlemen when it comes to personal style! I have a question that's been bugging me for a while now. I have several older suits and blazers handed down to me by my dad or acquired at the local thrift shop, as well as one suit of my own (Egara) and a navy blazer (Calvin Klein). The older stuff from dad and the thrift shop is regular fit, and the suit and blazer I bought for myself are both slim fit. All are 40R, 32/3/4 waist and 32 length in the pants. All were tailored and fit me great. But I'm 6' 1.5," 190lb, and it seems weird to me that suits my 5' 9" 160lb dad wore fit me with just a bit of tailoring to make the shoulders roomier and take in at the waist/lengthen pants. I've only ever heard of guys between, say, 5' 8" and 5' 11" wearing a 40R, and according to the "recommended" size for someone of my dimensions, I'd be about a 42L. So my question is, is this amount of variation in sizing normal? Could it be that I just have an abnormally long neck that makes me taller? And, should I order a 40R when buying online despite the recommendations of innumerable online sizing charts that tell me it's going to be too small?

Thanks for taking a look, and please let me know what you think.
    I'm about your size. I'm a 40 L in most brands. It's really all about your proportions. Some people have some wonky body types. For instance IIRC @LesserBlackDog was talking about how long his torso was. Sounds like you have the opposite. Who cares what size you are? As long as it looks good

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    152 Post(s)
    I'm 5'8" 155lb and I've got everything from a 36R to 40S that fit well. So how do I shop online? Pay attention to return policies.