Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting a navy suit

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)

Thinking about getting a navy suit

This is my first post and I apologize in advance for the length.

So, I'm thinking about getting a navy suit - I have 2 suits, but oddly I don't have the most basic suit a guy should own. I'm considering several options, and want to make sure that I've covered the relative pros/cons of each. I'm not looking to be told the "one and only" right answer - just want to get folks' thoughts and opinions.

Background:
    • suit will be worn 1-2x per month, and will often be worn without a tie. I'm an in-house lawyer, but my workplace is pretty casual, with most people wearing khakis and button downs or polos. I tend to dress a bit more formally than others, but wearing a suit and tie can be distraction. As a result, I will probably wear the suit (without tie) occasionally to work and with or without tie on other occasions - church (also casual) and nicer dinners with the wife.
    • I am 40 (sigh)
    • given that this suit isn't really a requirement for work and won't be worn very often, I'd prefer not to invest too much in it. My money needs to go to other uses.
    • I'm 5'10 and 165 lbs; 32in waist. I think a size 38r or 40r depending on brand.
    • I live in Columbus

The options I'm considering.

1. Thrifting. This is probably my preferred route.
    Pros
    - price

Cons
    - low quantity of good suits in my size at thrift store
    - will likely take a while to find something that looks good and fits.

2. Brooks Brothers.
    Pros
    - "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM"
    - good quality; good tailors

Cons
    - more than I'd ideally like to spend

3. Suit Supply
    Pros
    - seems like a good value; I see a lot of positive feedback and reviews

Cons
    - no SS in C'bus, so I'd be buying without trying on. That's a bit concerning
    - functioning sleeve bottons, making alterations hard or impossible
    - can a 40 year old guy wear suitsupply? The guys on the website look so...young.

4. Men's Wearhouse "Made in the USA" Joseph Abboud.
    Pros
    - sounds like a good value, but the reviews weren't entirely awesome either

Cons
    - For some reason, the brand turns me off. Maybe its the old commercials I still replay in my head. This is a silly concern, but it is one I have.

5. Indochino or another online MTM supplier.
    Pros
    - good value, if you get the right fit.

Cons
    - getting the right fit may be tough. I don't regularly wear suits and am not confident in my ability to get the measurements right.

Tell me what I else I should consider.
    Last edited by Wahoo1997; July 17th, 2014 at 06:40 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I would heartily recommend Suit Supply. I'm 44 and in banking and it looks great on me. I'd suggest ordering a Napoli and London and see which one you like best. It is easy to return the one that you like least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    If you go MTM I can vouch for ProperSuit. I'm very happy with the navy suit I bought. So far I've only worn it in my wedding, but I'll be wearing it frequently for work come November.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    If you have the time, I would also consider yoox.com and eBay. You might get lucky and find a high end suit at a good price.

If you don't want to wait too long, I think brooks brothers would be the easier way to go. You can try them on and get an idea of he different fits and feel the fabric. The 1818 suits are fantastic quality. They will have a 25% off sale at least four times a year.

Regarding you other choices you mentioned: 3) suit supply will require some online research on your part to go over the measurements of the different fits, since they will vary, and you can't try it on or feel the fabric before buying. 5) MTM might be a big gamble in terms of fit, if you don't have experience with that particular company.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I'd strongly consider Combatant Gentlemen. I'm extremely impressed with what you get for $160. And to top it off their customer service is top notch. Just got a free tie for posting a selfie in their suit haha!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)
    Check out some of the 100% wool options from Macy's and JCP as well (Bar III, Stafford, Claiborne, etc.). Given your jacket size it shouldn't be too hard to find several options nearby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It might sound cliche but I have read it many times in men's magazines, " a $5000 suit doesn't make a man, the tailoring does". With that being said I'm not implying that a polyester is by any means ok, on any given day ok to wear. If you don't wear a suit much/the same suit much ( you have an arsenal of suits) go for a nice Brooks Brothers. I say this because the material is finer than say a lesser brand. you don't drive a Porsche every day and expected to hold value. I say personally get a few of the middle end suits, and when game time comes go to the big dog.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    How much more high quality would a suit by, say, Cantarelli or Caruso be than Suitsupply? I've been looking into suits and blazers myself lately, and SS or Yoox seem to be like the best options.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I would go with Suit Supply, the price to quality difference is more than ok over there. If you don't want to spend that much they are the way to go.
    I choose my style wisely, not just because I want to look handsome, but also because I want to show myself to the world.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)
    Thanks for the recommendation. The number of different online MTM options out there is a bit overwhelming (Indochino, ProperSuit, DragonInside, Combantant Gentlemen). I don't doubt that you can get a great value from those folks, but choosing between the various options is daunting. And, not having bought a suit in years, the risk of getting something ill fitting is worrisome. As others mentioned, once you get above a certain level, fit is probably almost as important (or even more important) than other factors.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyletrois View Post
    If you go MTM I can vouch for ProperSuit. I'm very happy with the navy suit I bought. So far I've only worn it in my wedding, but I'll be wearing it frequently for work come November.