Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about getting a navy suit

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)
    Thanks Alex. I will check them out. Will a 100% wool house brand suit from Macy's, JCP (or maybe even Saks Off 5th) scream "I bought a house brand suit"? Or, assuming I get a good fit and good tailoring, will my wife say, "D*&!, I can't believe you got that for only $____."

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    Benjamin suit from eHaberdasher sounds like the perfect option for you.

The cut and style are a little more flattering than BB (even the Fitzgerald cut), but nowhere near as style centric as SS, Indo, etc. The materials and construction are much higher than one would expect from suits in the $500 range. I have one and love everything about it.

eHaberdasher doesn't have store fronts, but the measurements on their website are exact. Just measure the suit(s) that fit you best and use those measurements to get the right size.

If you're still uncomfortable with the idea and happen to ever be in Cincinnati (assuming that you meant Columbus, Ohio), you could try on my 38R Benjamin suit.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I have to highly recommend you check out the JCP Stafford Slim Fit wool suit separates. In-store stock seems to be dwindling, but they can still be found. I have one in navy and one in medium grey, and I think I spent somewhere around $150 or less on each (doorbuster sales, etc.). 38R fit me pretty perfectly (5'10" 180lbs), just had to bring up the sleeves a bit. I'm an attorney as well and I've gotten compliments when I've gone on job interviews and at work. Can't say enough good things about them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)
    Thanks. I will definitely stop by JCP and try one on. Does anyone know how the Stafford label differs from the Claiborne label? Are both JCP house brands? If so, are they different in construction or targeted at different markets?

Quote Originally Posted by DPirate19 View Post
    I have to highly recommend you check out the JCP Stafford Slim Fit wool suit separates. In-store stock seems to be dwindling, but they can still be found. I have one in navy and one in medium grey, and I think I spent somewhere around $150 or less on each (doorbuster sales, etc.). 38R fit me pretty perfectly (5'10" 180lbs), just had to bring up the sleeves a bit. I'm an attorney as well and I've gotten compliments when I've gone on job interviews and at work. Can't say enough good things about them.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    I ordered the Claiborne separates that Joe talked about in the recent "The Top 10 Affordable Navy Suits" post. They arrive today and I'll be happy to report back on fit and quality if you can wait a day or two.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)
    Thanks. I can definitely wait - this isn't urgent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Stafford is house--I believe Claiborne may be as well. The Claiborne's I have tried on at JCP seem fine but the lapels are a bit skinny for my tastes--to each their own I suppose. I preferred the Stafford in a side-by-side comparison (obviously, as I bought two)

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DPirate19 View Post
    I have the navy and med grey as well. Great for a beater suit. I got mine for $112 each at a doorbuster.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo1997 View Post
    Thanks. I will definitely stop by JCP and try one on. Does anyone know how the Stafford label differs from the Claiborne label? Are both JCP house brands? If so, are they different in construction or targeted at different markets?
    They are both house brands IIRC. They are not all that different or marketed towards different markets. In my experience Claibourne is a little more slim OTR. That is the Stafford classic fit is bigger than the Claibourne classic fit. Same for the slim fits. Both are fused. It seems like stafford is more widely available in brick and mortar JCPs and offers more of a variety.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    103 Post(s)
    Follow-up: do folks recommend solid navy or something different, like windowpane?