Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BR Monogram vs Jcrew Ludlow

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

BR Monogram vs Jcrew Ludlow

Banana republic has 40% off no exclusions today. I've been considering this monogram wool/mohair: http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=932367002 or a J crew wool navy ludlow. 40% off drops this (with pants to make a full suit) to 388$ (plus I have 50$ in rewards) so that makes it substantially cheaper than Jcrew. Thoughts? Pics?

Thanks!
    Chris

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)
    I don't know much about BR Monogram, but if history has show, BR just slaps a name on something and charges more for it.

Jcrew's Ludlow suit happens to be half-canvassed, so you ARE paying up for something tangible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    The site claims:

Full lining adds structure and weight to drape smoothly. Underarm shields reduce the need for dry cleaning.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Mahanna View Post
    The site claims:

Full lining adds structure and weight to drape smoothly. Underarm shields reduce the need for dry cleaning.
    ...all of their blazers have those. BR's PR dept. needs some serious help.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)
    40% off at br should be their real msrp, tbh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fey View Post
    40% off at br should be their real msrp, tbh

So in your opinion, wait and try and catch a ludlow on sale?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1069 Post(s)
    The Ludlow would be $450 and the BR would be $338 after his credit. All BR general opinions aside, it looks like the question is if the Ludlow is worth $110 more than the BR? Me being in the south and I not traveling much with a suit, I would probably go for the Ludlow if I could and save the BR credit for some chinos or something. The half lined jacket is probably a big advantage in my warm climate. So far my plan is that if I am spending less than the Ludlow I am going way under and trying something like a Claiborne, Stafford, Bar III or a Combatant Gentleman. I don't think the $110 is enough to sacrifice for...but $200+, yeah maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    The Ludlow would be $450 and the BR would be $338 after his credit. All BR general opinions aside, it looks like the question is if the Ludlow is worth $110 more than the BR? Me being in the south and I not traveling much with a suit, I would probably go for the Ludlow if I could and save the BR credit for some chinos or something. The half lined jacket is probably a big advantage in my warm climate. So far my plan is that if I am spending less than the Ludlow I am going way under and trying something like a Claiborne, Stafford, Bar III or a Combatant Gentleman. I don't think the $110 is enough to sacrifice for...but $200+, yeah maybe.
    Thanks for the opinion. I would consider the BR 388 either way (opportunity cost of the credit) so for a 70$ difference I'd definitely rather the Ludlow. My question now is, where did you find a Ludlow for 450? I've been stalking the sale section/promo codes, and can't seem to find any. I'm looking for a navy wool suit.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    So in your opinion, wait and try and catch a ludlow on sale?
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    Yes, wait for the Ludlow. Like @idvsego says, the $110 is not worth it. With BR Monogram, you're essentially getting a cheaply constructed suit with nice-ish fabric. Not worth more than $200 for me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Thanks for the opinion. I would consider the BR 388 either way (opportunity cost of the credit) so for a 70$ difference I'd definitely rather the Ludlow. My question now is, where did you find a Ludlow for 450? I've been stalking the sale section/promo codes, and can't seem to find any. I'm looking for a navy wool suit.

Thanks!
    Last year J.Crew ran a promo of 30% off select suits. I think the standard navy wool suit was one of them, but with the jackets with double vents and pants in the slim fit option only.