Results 2,251 to 2,260 of 2267

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skylark View Post
    What brands would you recommend for smart-casual but also fun workplace shirts. I teach at a private school that just unofficially relaxed its "always wear a tie" dress code, so I'm looking for shirts that are the smartest of casual. OCBD's are obviously a go-to. I'd like patterns but sometimes those can seem a little too casual. I have plenty of blazers so I expect to pair button-down collar shirts with blazers.

What brands would you recommend?

(this is maybe not that quick of a question).
    Check out Ledbury. They have super nice shirts, and tons of nice options that aren't stiff, boring dress shirts. They may seem expensive, but they often have sales, and discounts can be found at places like Nordstrom and Nordstromrack sometimes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArÍte View Post
    Check out Ledbury. They have super nice shirts, and tons of nice options that aren't stiff, boring dress shirts. They may seem expensive, but they often have sales, and discounts can be found at places like Nordstrom and Nordstromrack sometimes.
    This ^

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skylark View Post
    What brands would you recommend for smart-casual but also fun workplace shirts. I teach at a private school that just unofficially relaxed its "always wear a tie" dress code, so I'm looking for shirts that are the smartest of casual. OCBD's are obviously a go-to. I'd like patterns but sometimes those can seem a little too casual. I have plenty of blazers so I expect to pair button-down collar shirts with blazers.

What brands would you recommend?

(this is maybe not that quick of a question).
    General recommendations would be the pretty standard stuff: Banana Republic, Charles Tyrwhitt, Spier & Mackay, J Crew, etc. I know others have recommended Ledbury. I don't have any experience with them mainly because spending $100+ per shirt seems crazy to me, but they are very well reviewed.

If you're looking for more specific recommendations, we'll need much more info. What is your budget? What exactly do you mean when you say "fun shirts"?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    424 Post(s)
    Red Fleece from Brooks Brothers is decent. I like their button downs better than the regular Brooks Brothers line for the reasons people complain about them in online reviews: they are slim cut and they don't have non-iron treatment. The one real downside imo is if your arms are longer than average proportions, you may not be able to get a good fit.

Ledbury is also great as mentioned above. The two things I especially like about Ledbury is I've never had to use the extra buttons for one coming off or chipping and the button stance is how all OCBDs should be. A risk is if you do buy them used, someone may have cooked the shirt in a dryer which is especially bad for whatever reason with these shirts. I'd recommend lighter colors as well since these shirts seem to last forever with the only obvious wear being color fading on the ends of the cuffs without fraying.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quoted
    678 Post(s)
    Another fan of Ledbury.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I have a shirt collar question... Iím wearing this to a wedding and I donít have time to order a MTM shirt with an appropriately sized collar... the pants will be black dress pants. So, should I wear this shirt with the spread collar thatís too small or should I just go with a buttoned down collar and risk the informality of it all?... I think if I was wearing tan pants Iíd be fine with a buttoned down, but the black pants (which you canít see here, sorry) are considerably more formal, linen blend jacket notwithstanding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro View Post
    I have a shirt collar question... I’m wearing this to a wedding and I don’t have time to order a MTM shirt with an appropriately sized collar... the pants will be black dress pants. So, should I wear this shirt with the spread collar that’s too small or should I just go with a buttoned down collar and risk the informality of it all?... I think if I was wearing tan pants I’d be fine with a buttoned down, but the black pants (which you can’t see here, sorry) are considerably more formal, linen blend jacket notwithstanding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You’re overthinking it...it looks great and you’ll probably be the best dressed guest there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIS997 View Post
    Youíre overthinking it...it looks great and youíll probably be the best dressed guest there.
    Thanks... I do tend to overthink... but, in this particular instance, I might be too far down the obsession/rabbit hole.

Mentioned
    438 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2144 Post(s)
    After numerous unsuccessful attempts over the course of my adulthood I've finally found success shaving with a double-edged razor. I found a razor handle and blades (both Muhle… happened to be on the shelf on sale at T.J. Maxx so I bought it on a whim) that work perfectly for me.

My question is for those of you who shave with DE (or similar) razors. What do you do with the used blades afterward? I know some razor brands come in packages that have a little disposal slot on the underside. The brand I've purchased doesn't seem to have that. I ended up just ordering a hazardous sharps disposal container online. I wonder if I'm missing something obvious? How else do you dispose of your used razor blades?
    Ben

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    While I don't shave with a double-edge razor, for projects I have a couple of utility knives that use utility razor blades. For disposal I sandwich the used blade between scrap cardboard and then heavily tape with masking tape and place in the trash. I have also seen where an empty Altoids mint tin works perfectly for disposal of double-edge blades. When full, wrap in tape and place in the trash.