Page 58 of 226 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Going to get a pair of unhemmed chinos hemmed tomorrow, how big of a hemline (I think that is the proper term) should I ask for? 1/2"? 1"? Thanks.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    @unnamedplayer, I guess I have never thought about this. The hem at the bottom of jeans and chinos seems pretty consistent. When I bring pants to my tailor to hem, she just makes the hem standard (on things like jeans and chinos).
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by greg_s View Post
    @unnamedplayer, I guess I have never thought about this. The hem at the bottom of jeans and chinos seems pretty consistent. When I bring pants to my tailor to hem, she just makes the hem standard (on things like jeans and chinos).
    I never really thought about it too. The reason I ask is that I took a pair to get hemmed a few weeks ago and did not ask for a specific size. Ended up getting them back with a half inch hemline. I checked some BR chinos I own and they are 1 inch. So didnt really know what is a better length.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Currently have black Park Aves, brown Fifth Aves, and Walnut Strands. Best option to round out the lineup? Largely business-dress environment, but in search of something that can be dressed down a bit as well. Can a blucher be paired with a suit? If so, I'm thinking some kind of blucher-laced, wingtip. Any thoughts?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allmodcons View Post
    Currently have black Park Aves, brown Fifth Aves, and Walnut Strands. Best option to round out the lineup? Largely business-dress environment, but in search of something that can be dressed down a bit as well. Can a blucher be paired with a suit? If so, I'm thinking some kind of blucher-laced, wingtip. Any thoughts?
    Depends on how much you care about looking like you care. Honestly I think if the shoe's fairly formal you're fine. Just make sure its closed-laces for your funeral. Otherwise it sounds like you're missing a wingtip so are on the right track. Specifically, this is what I'd go for:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...000001_-1_4554

Although its not necessarily that versatile if you want to dress it down a bit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Does anyone have any experience with J. Crew Factory jeans? Need a staple dark jean and was looking at the Sutton, but I'm wondering how heavy these jeans are? I tried to contact JCF and they told me:

I was able to confirm with our Brand Team that the Factory Sutton Jean weighs 1 lb 5 oz and 8 grams.
    Not sure what that means exactly. I was trying to find out is it heavy denim (>12 oz) medium weight (10-12 oz), etc. Anyone got any experience?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Quoted
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unnamedplayer View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with J. Crew Factory jeans? Need a staple dark jean and was looking at the Sutton, but I'm wondering how heavy these jeans are? I tried to contact JCF and they told me:

Not sure what that means exactly. I was trying to find out is it heavy denim (>12 oz) medium weight (10-12 oz), etc. Anyone got any experience?
    I can't comment on JCF jeans, as I haven't tried them, but have you considered Uniqlo? They were just on sale, may still be. I think they're about 12oz, and on par or better than Levi's.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roostertail View Post
    I can't comment on JCF jeans, as I haven't tried them, but have you considered Uniqlo? They were just on sale, may still be. I think they're about 12oz, and on par or better than Levi's.
    Yup, I thought about them. My concern is the rise. I think Uniqlos are on the lower end at least from what I remember of looking at their sizing charts.

I think I have a very picky preference in rise. I don't want something really low, yet I don't want a very high rise either. A nice medium rise I think works well. Something like 10 or 10.25'' on a 30'' waist.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Anyone have any suggestions on which AE shoe polish would go best with their cognac shoes? Picked up a pair of Rapid City shoes in cognac dublin off the AE shoebank, but there's no corresponding cognac shoe polish available, so I'm at a loss here.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Can anyone speak to the sizing of J.Crew Factory's Thompson suit pants? I normally wear a 34/30, and ordered that size of this pant and they're VERY loose in the waist and crotch.

I'm going to return them for the same style in the slim option, but should I go with a different size? 33/30 or even 32/30 perhaps?

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.