Thread: J. Crew vs J. Crew Factory Chinos in Fall 2019

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

J. Crew vs J. Crew Factory Chinos in Fall 2019

I'm about to buy 2-4 pairs of chinos for work and I'm deciding between J. Crew Factory and J. Crew. The fit for both is good compared to Banana Republic and are available in more colors. My question is what difference in quality should I expect? Are the J. Crew ones going to be more durable, meaning holding up better after washing? Or more color-proof, also after washing? At $50 vs. $30 at JCF, I'm inclided to just get the JCF pants. Any thoughts?

Note: I'm expecting I'll wear these once every 7-9 business days, since that'll be the size of my pant rotation, so not an item that I'm going to "run into the ground".

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    I don't have direct experience with their chinos but I've not been happy with JCF quality in general. I picked up a button down from them not that long ago and found the material to be much thinner than JC. Also, the buttons were cheap plastic and a few of them started to deteriorate after some laundering. I do have pants from BR and have been very happy with those.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    I’d buy 2 pairs of J. Crew chinos before I’d buy 4 pairs (or anything) from JCF. JCF is garbage and should die.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by domando View Post
    I'm about to buy 2-4 pairs of chinos for work and I'm deciding between J. Crew Factory and J. Crew. The fit for both is good compared to Banana Republic and are available in more colors. My question is what difference in quality should I expect? Are the J. Crew ones going to be more durable, meaning holding up better after washing? Or more color-proof, also after washing? At $50 vs. $30 at JCF, I'm inclided to just get the JCF pants. Any thoughts?

Note: I'm expecting I'll wear these once every 7-9 business days, since that'll be the size of my pant rotation, so not an item that I'm going to "run into the ground".
    I have both and I prefer the J.crew mainline ones more. The material is thicker and more substantial. The details are nicer (buttons, pocket fabric, etc) and they fit me just a bit better. I do find that my JCF ones are beginning to fade from washings while my JC ones are holding strong. I find myself wearing the JCF ones mostly on the weekends while playing with the kids because I don't mind them getting beat up.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Second JC. JCF is good for what it's good for: inexpensive, inoffensive clothes that you'll get 1-2 good years out of before they start to fall apart. JC is sturdier and, at least for me, wears better no matter the garment.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    327 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MIS997 View Post
    I’d buy 2 pairs of J. Crew chinos before I’d buy 4 pairs (or anything) from JCF. JCF is garbage and should die.
    that seems a bit aggressive.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepetito View Post
    that seems a bit aggressive.
    Things can escalate around here with certain brands.

I wouldn't go so far as to say JCF is "garbage" but people should definitely understand they won't get nearly the longevity out of JCF items that they will out of "nicer" labels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    I have a couple of JCF shirts and a JCF suit that I really like. The chinos, I got, though, did not seem to have much longevity at all.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    I have a bunch of JCF sweaters from a few (4?) years ago that have been great. The current stuff doesn’t seem to be the same quality. I recently bought some JCF and JC chinos and the JC ones are noticeably better quality to me. If you’re gonna use them a lot, spend the money. If it’s only a few times a year wear, you could probably get by with the cheaper pair.