Page 211 of 222 FirstFirst ... 111161201209210211212213221 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 2212

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    Wife and I are going to a NYE party themed "Silver and Gold." I'm drawing a blank on what to wear. Anyone have any ideas?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    Tough theme for a man. Women will have no problem with the theme, however.

If it's a formal event, I'd stick with a tux. Maybe you could find a vest with silver or gold in it.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Silver and gold pocket squares, folded together to make an alternating pattern? Or hit up a rental place and ask to see the high school section; vests and bowties in metallics are usually on offer.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ito View Post
    I recently purchased the BR Italian Motion-Stretch Blazer. ... I need the arms shortened about 2 inches for the length to be great, which is halfway in to the buttons. ... Should I return it for the 40S, bring it to a tailor and see what they can do, or just deal with the long sleeves?
    Might depend upon how far apart the button holes stand. If you've got a good tailor, and the holes are well-spaced he or she may be able to rebuild the cuff such that the lower holes are concealed.

If the buttons are kissing, then there's no way to cleanly shorten partway up the button holes.

Two inches of excess sleeve would drive me nuts, as it would constantly be hanging over my palms. I'd rather have a slightly short body in the jacket. Maybe try pinning up the body, see how it looks? Just don't be surprised if the 40S has a problem with the button stance, displaying to your belt buckle and shirt.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)
    Thinking about picking up another medium gray S&M suit to add to my rotation but having trouble distinguishing between these four (I understand the difference between matte and sharkskin in theory, but these look pretty similar):

https://www.spierandmackay.com/mediu...texture-1.html
    https://www.spierandmackay.com/mediu...ure-23032.html
    https://www.spierandmackay.com/matte-medium-gray.html
    https://www.spierandmackay.com/mediu...sharkskin.html

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ito View Post
    I recently purchased the BR Italian Motion-Stretch Blazer. I really like it, it looks great and I dig the flexibility of the fabric. My problem comes in with the sleeves - I didn't notice right away, but the suit has functioning sleeve buttons. I have fairly short arms, so I nearly always have to have my sleeves shortened. Normally I would just return the blazer and move on, but I really want to make this one work. I need the arms shortened about 2 inches for the length to be great, which is halfway in to the buttons. I ordered a 40R, so theoretically I could order a 40S which would have an inch shorter arms (according to BR's site) so tailoring would likely be a bit easier, but also would have an inch shorter body length (and the body length is pretty much dead on for me with the 40R). Should I return it for the 40S, bring it to a tailor and see what they can do, or just deal with the long sleeves?
    Since there are no pattern matching problems a competent tailor can probably shorten the sleeves at the shoulders. It's not cheap. Mine charges $65, which is reasonable imo.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    What's a good source for solid, affordable knit ties? I used to like The Tie Bar's options, but they're all too narrow now. I'm a bulkier guy and can't really rock a tie less than 2.5 in. wide.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlstein View Post
    Since there are no pattern matching problems a competent tailor can probably shorten the sleeves at the shoulders. It's not cheap. Mine charges $65, which is reasonable imo.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the input, guys. I went to the tailor I usually go to and she said she could not do it from the shoulders. That said, I am going to reach out to some of the other tailors in my area.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    What's a good source for solid, affordable knit ties? I used to like The Tie Bar's options, but they're all too narrow now. I'm a bulkier guy and can't really rock a tie less than 2.5 in. wide.
    If you are near one a Brooks Brothers outlet normally runs some pretty good sales on ties. They can be found for between 25 and 35 dollars each. Typically they are made in the USA, but it is worth checking.

Another more pricey but still good option would be Nordstrom rack or nordsrom proper. They will have a wide selection but prices will vary widely and you need to research the brands to ensure a quality product.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by colby View Post
    I had bought some from The Knottery several years back. They might have something.