Thread: Attending Wedding Attire Advice

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quoted
    449 Post(s)

Attending Wedding Attire Advice

Good people of Dappered I need your help

Attending my friends wedding tomorrow. It is going to be almost 100 and humid in the DC area. The wedding ceremony is outdoors. The reception is inside. All starting around 4:30-5p

The invite says black tie optional. I assume knowing them they have no idea what that means they just wanted formal.

So Iím thinking suit rather than tux since even the groomsmen arenít in tuxes and donít want to upstage.

But given the heat and someone that once he starts sweating is done for my suit options:
    Navy Napoli SuSu
    Charcoal Napoli SuSu
    Navy blue texture S&M
    Bright blue Napoli
    Gray linen JCrew suit
    Blue chino JCF suit
    Light blue JCF summer suit

Thatís my initial options. I figured most are going to run hot being dark colors but the summer suits donít really fit the dress code parameters. What would you do beside pray for breeze? Haha

Thanks In advance.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    487 Post(s)
    Given that it's early evening, the wedding party is not black tie, and you're really worried about the heat, I suggest you consider going with the linen.

As for me--well, now that I'm pushing 60, I always overestimate my ability to endure the heat and I would probably wear the navy or charcoal suit--then I'd sweat buckets, regret my decision, and when I'm on the verge of passing out from heat exhaustion, take the jacket off. But at least I'd have it for the indoor reception.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2031 Post(s)
    What shade of blue is the blue chino suit?

Are any of the suits partially lined or unlined?

Is there shade for the audience at the ceremony?
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quoted
    449 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    What shade of blue is the blue chino suit?

Are any of the suits partially lined or unlined?

Is there shade for the audience at the ceremony?
    Navy blue for the chino suit. That one is partially lined. The rest are not.

No idea on shade. I mean if Iíve gotta be hot and suffer a bit Iím ok with it if formality requires it. Iím just unsure of where to go with ward robe given the heat, time and confusing dress instructions

And side rant. I love the internet. But donít do all marriage info and invites online. Sometimes itís nice to see stuff on the card. Trying to go back to evite styled invitations etc to find stuff ugh. I guess Iím now old. Get off my lawn kids haha

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)
    Wear a full tux and look better than the groom/groomsmen, even if you have to suffer a bit, to punish them for not being clear with their desires. They're your friends, so it should be fine.

Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2031 Post(s)
    Tough call. You might consider who the other wedding attendees are going to be - if they are older, wealthier, more "conservative" (i.e. do the couple work in government or law or finance and are their guests going to be coming from that world), maybe I would lean more toward a wool suit. If they are younger, more diverse, in less "conservative" occupations/social circles (i.e. creative fields or non-profit work or something), I might go for cotton or linen. Basically I'd be inclined to lean toward a more comfortable summer suit option unless you have reason to think that the other guests are going to be pretty stickler-ish about formality, to the point that you would look inappropriate or feel out of place in a more casual suit.

It's an outdoor summer wedding, not a funeral, so I think you've got some leeway even if the couple is implying a relatively high degree of formality.

Suit choice aside, I would recommend wearing as light and breathable a shirt as possible (linen? poplin?) in white, skipping any undershirt, going with lightweight, moisture-wicking underwear that isn't overly tight, unbuttoning your shirt cuffs (this seems like a small thing but makes a noticeable difference), and remember to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. If you've got choices between things that are slightly looser fitting or slightly tighter fitting, go with the looser fitting option.

If you wear a lighter-colored, non-wool suit, stick to a white shirt, dark tie, and white pocket square to help elevate its formality a little bit.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Quoted
    449 Post(s)
    Thanks @LesserBlackDog and others putting a bunch of hockey guys outside in June with an open bar. Iíll let you know who passes out first. We play a sport on ice haha

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    487 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post

And side rant. I love the internet. But don’t do all marriage info and invites online. Sometimes it’s nice to see stuff on the card. Trying to go back to evite styled invitations etc to find stuff ugh. I guess I’m now old. Get off my lawn kids haha
    This old guy sometimes takes a photo of his computer screen just so he can find it a bit easier later.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)
    I'd be inclined to take an extra shirt, and maybe a couple of the alcohol hand wipes, so that when it's time to transition to closer quarters indoors you can duck into a bathroom stall and remove all the sweat you will inevitably produce (late afternoon summer in DC, you will sweat a lot regardless of which suit you wear).

Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2031 Post(s)
    Yeah, you could bring along some wet wipe type things (Duke Cannon Cold Shower Cooling Field Towels comes to mind as a masculine-branded product that fits this bill, but honestly they are probably all the same thing) in a plastic sandwich baggie and wipe down your face and bits (in that order please thank you) in the bathroom once you're done with the outdoor part of the ceremony. That might help cool you down and not look and feel like a shiny greaseball for the rest of the reception.
    Ben