Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Active and dappered?

  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,665
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1117 Post(s)

    Active and dappered?

    We know a lot of this content is directed at work wear, occasions, etc...but I see plenty of us that participate in physically active hobbies or lifestyles. I know this isnt the main focus of the community but I think it would be really cool to get enough particiaption here to make it a sticky to keep a running list of good finds or deals for the activity minded items. I do a lot outdoors but still want to look half decent and prefer to not look like an under armour ad all the time so I am always on the lookout for that balance of style, performance, and price. So I figured I would toss this up and see if anyone had items that they found that work for them in any activity other than work/home but still looks decent. I have found a couple in this last year that have really been working for me.

    J Crew tech shorts. These were my "do it all" shorts all through the warm months. I wore them while working from home, hiking, camping, the gym, exploring backroads in the jeep, and they are perfect for road trips. They also work well for lunch dates in the south.

    32 Degree under shirts from costco (or the 32 degree website). I actually love almost everything I have bought of this brand. I dont really wear these as undershirts, I wear them as tees. For hiking, the gym, or working at home, these are comfortable and dont LOOK like workout shirts so I dont feel dumb going to the store or the library in them. Stretchy and moisture wicking keep them comfortable when moving around. oh, and they are cheap lol.

    I have more that I will follow up with but work is calling. I will say I need some shoes or boots that stand up to a lot of walking (preferably hiking) but dont look like your typcial Merrill/Keen boot. I am on the hunt.

  2. #2
    Varsity Member armedferret's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Sometimes TX, Sometimes MD
    Posts
    1,371
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    454 Post(s)
    My active times involve a lot of sweat, a lot of mud, or a lot of both.

    I just buy whatever workout shorts are inexpensive and replace as necessary.

    up top I typically wear t-shirts with military humor injected into them. Space Shuttle Door Gunner, Mandatory Fun Shirt, Little Yellow Bird Enriched Bread, etc.

    Or tough mudder shirts. They make em out of relatively decent tech fabric now so they pull regular duty in that regard.


    for outdoorsy stuff like camping or what have you, i tend to just go with selvedge, higgins mills or Truman boots, and climate-appropriate upper body wear. I have a lovely buffalo plaid wool hooded coat i picked up in West Yellowstone this past trip up there that's fantastic. Looks good too.

    We'll be hitting Zion next year on our way down to Vegas, so I'll probably pick up a pair of Merrell or similar hiking shoes and shorts. Full-on dadwear™.
    Last edited by armedferret; October 23rd, 2019 at 10:47 AM.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    69
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    I'd love to see something like you describe as well.

    Much of my cold weather gear comes from spring clearance sales from Mountain hardware and anything on clearance from Sierra Trading Post.

    Sierra requires a lot more work.

    I have found some amazing deals on technical pants for cross country skiing and hiking, as well as down jackets and shells there.

    My heavy duty hiking boots are Asolo Fugitive Gore-Tex Boots. I purchased them for over 50% off when EMS closed.

    Lately I use trail running shoes (altras) much more than hiking boots. Usually I pay at or near full price for running shoes.

    I mention these because just about every single item on here was purchased at a considerable discount by endlessly searching through websites for what I needed at the time.
    Much of it is quite fashionable in a work out sort of way. I live in Vermont and you really need 4 seasons of gear/clothes up here.

    Warm weather/gym:

    Running shorts: Better than naked from North face
    Gym shorts: Hylete verge II flex-woven zip pocket short
    Socks - Phd Run from smart wool
    Shirt - any technical shirt from a race you ran. If you don't have enough short sleeve work out shirts, run some 5 and 10ks.
    Running shoes - I prefer Hoka One One for training and Saucony for race day/speed.
    Hydration/backpack: Salomon Adv Skin 12 Set Black

    Colder weather:

    Shirt - Any technical t shirt
    Baselayer: 32 deg from costco
    Layer - Mountain hardware Microchill 2.0 zip T
    Socks: PhD run from smart wool
    Not too cold/light rain Jacket - Outdoor research Boost jacket
    Tights: North face cold weather running tights
    Running shoes: Saucony Peregrine Ice 8+

    Spartan races:

    Tshirt - any technical shirt (usually a dodgers shirt)
    Shorts - hylete verge II flex-woven zip pocket short
    socks: Mudbug over the calf compression socks
    Shoes: Altra Lone Peak 4
    Gaiters: Outdoor Research Stamina Gaiters
    Hydration/backpack: Salomon Adv Skin 12 Set Black

  4. #4
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,250
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    484 Post(s)
    I think active and dappered comes down to fit and color choices.

    My active attire is mostly for the gym. And I don’t mind being a UA billboard for most items. Their stuff lasts longer, doesn’t hold a stink, and has a good fit for me.

    Shorts: Nike 9” inseam. Simple grays here so I can wear almost any shirt color.

    Shirts: Under Armour Tech 2.0 shirts. Great price. Good movement. Great athletic cut. I usually wear a heat gear base layer for compression and to help with sweating.

    Base: usually some sort of 3/4 leggings from UA if doing legs or cardio. Or as it’s getting colder. UA base shorts if not.

    Shoes: just got the Nike MetCons. Good versatile shoe for training. For more intense cardio I’ve got ASICS.

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,665
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1117 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I think active and dappered comes down to fit and color choices.

    My active attire is mostly for the gym. And I don’t mind being a UA billboard for most items. Their stuff lasts longer, doesn’t hold a stink, and has a good fit for me.

    Shorts: Nike 9” inseam. Simple grays here so I can wear almost any shirt color.

    Shirts: Under Armour Tech 2.0 shirts. Great price. Good movement. Great athletic cut. I usually wear a heat gear base layer for compression and to help with sweating.

    Base: usually some sort of 3/4 leggings from UA if doing legs or cardio. Or as it’s getting colder. UA base shorts if not.

    Shoes: just got the Nike MetCons. Good versatile shoe for training. For more intense cardio I’ve got ASICS.
    I actually love UA and wear it often. Sometimes I go straight from a hike to dinner with the lady so I like to have hybrid look if possible. I always go for function first though. I want some pants that would be warm and comfortable for winter hikes. Been looking at some of the UA options but I dont like skin tight so I just have to keep trying stuff on.

    Do those shirts have the typical shine that workout gear usually has? Thats the thing that gets me.

    I did just pick up a mixed media vest from BR. the fit is trim like BR item usually is but the puffer body is warm and the fleece panels give flex. So far I really like it as a somewhat versatile piece.

  6. #6
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1,250
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    484 Post(s)
    Have you checked Columbia? Ive seen good hike type apparel that can be a little more subtle then some of the super technical stuff at REI. At least their ski pants have different fit types which helps.

  7. #7
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    1,121
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    398 Post(s)
    I think I understand what the OP is saying. I think, without a doubt, certain activities call for performance gear and tech fabrics. In fact, shopping for sports clothes is rather easy, because you can find running shorts for running, work out shorts for the gym etc.

    However, for some lighter activities, there is room to buck the athleisure trend and embrace classic menswear. For example: a light hike (especially if you go to a restaurant afterwards), an event like a church picnic (where most people dress casual, but a Frisbee will be thrown, if not a pick up game of football started), as well as other outdoor activities such as hunting, fishing or camping.

    Granted, in most of these, you can show up in nothing but black lycra and no one would care. Still, I think there is a strong tradition of mens outdoor wear that looks good and is functionally approximate for these situations.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,665
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1117 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryn View Post
    I think I understand what the OP is saying. I think, without a doubt, certain activities call for performance gear and tech fabrics. In fact, shopping for sports clothes is rather easy, because you can find running shorts for running, work out shorts for the gym etc.

    However, for some lighter activities, there is room to buck the athleisure trend and embrace classic menswear. For example: a light hike (especially if you go to a restaurant afterwards), an event like a church picnic (where most people dress casual, but a Frisbee will be thrown, if not a pick up game of football started), as well as other outdoor activities such as hunting, fishing or camping.

    Granted, in most of these, you can show up in nothing but black lycra and no one would care. Still, I think there is a strong tradition of mens outdoor wear that looks good and is functionally approximate for these situations.
    yup, exactly. I do a fair amount of hiking in a linen blend button up because its breezy and still offers some sun protection without looking like I am scaling a cliff or strapping on waders in a Montana stream. I dont need neon stripes and orange splatter on my hiking footwear either. Part of this is that I love some technical materials and could wear them everyday but I dont want to be the atheliesure guy 24/7 or Mr Pata-bro-nia either.

    and you are exactly right...nobody else cares. But I try to dress for myself.

    Another one I want to try is Prana pants. They look like your standard 5 pocket pants but are UPF protectant, quick dry, abrasion resistant material, reinforced rivets, stretchy, and some have reinforced panels. But they look like pants I would wear any day of the week.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,665
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1117 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Have you checked Columbia? Ive seen good hike type apparel that can be a little more subtle then some of the super technical stuff at REI. At least their ski pants have different fit types which helps.
    I have a columbia outlet near me and have been through it a few times. There are some decent options in there for sure. I have been looking for a button up to hike in that is more durable than my current one and sof ar there are the most to choose from there.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator DocDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Great White North
    Posts
    3,806
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1444 Post(s)
    In the summer my base layer is an UA compression tank top. I wear it religiously when riding as I find having a barrier between my cycling jersey and my skin helps keep my cool.

    In the winter I wear a polypro base layer which my wife HATES! She prefers smartwool for base layers because she feels a) they provide better insulation and b) they do not retain the stank so much. I will agree with her that after much use the polypro layers tend to retain the smell. But by that point in their life they usually need to be replaced anyway.

    And recently I have taken up mountain biking. Rather than invest a lot of money in new shorts and tops, I've been going to the Goodwill or other second hand stores.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •