Results 1,921 to 1,930 of 1993

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    193 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    This might be a dumb question, but...are OCBDs or oxford shirts in general always made from a slightly thicker fabric than other dress shirts? I just ordered the blue oxford dress shirt from Bonobos, and the fabric feels a little thicker than their other shirts, but I can't tell if it's just my imagination.
    Yes, oxford cloth is typically thicker and more casual than, for example, most broadcloth dress shirts. If you want a similar look, but not as heavy, pinpoint oxford is a step down in thickness.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Thanks. These seem both thicker and slightly baggier (maybe stiffer fabric just bulges out more?) than their other dress shirts, and as a skinny dude in a city with hot summers, that's not ideal. Probably need to return.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    From the reviews on the Uniqlo site, it seems that they have updated their briefs and some say they are almost like a bikini brief. I was about to buy some, but wondered if anyone here has purchased any pre and post new restyle

Thanks
    We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Hey guys, long time lurker. I just joined up. I am halfway through overhauling my closet and am currently on shirts.
    I can’t wear non-iron as most tend to make me incredibly itchy.
    Can anyone recommend some options for white dress shirts to wear with a suit and tie for the summer that are not “non-iron”? I’d like to keep it close to $50 a shirt so I can get more. I wear slim fit with a semi-spread collar and button cuffs typically. No thick fabrics like oxford as I live on the West coast.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    199 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B.edwards View Post
    Hey guys, long time lurker. I just joined up. I am halfway through overhauling my closet and am currently on shirts.
    I can’t wear non-iron as most tend to make me incredibly itchy.
    Can anyone recommend some options for white dress shirts to wear with a suit and tie for the summer that are not “non-iron”? I’d like to keep it close to $50 a shirt so I can get more. I wear slim fit with a semi-spread collar and button cuffs typically. No thick fabrics like oxford as I live on the West coast.
    Paul Fredrick often has an introductory special for $24.95 per shirt for white shirts. I believe they still sell non-non iron shirts. I am fairly happy with my PF shirts. Occasionally the sizing is inconsistent, but they have always taken them back and issued a full refund, no questions asked--and they were monogrammed.

That said, you are probably going to get enough responses and opinions on this to have its own thread. Everybody has their favorites.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Paul Fredrick often has an introductory special for $24.95 per shirt for white shirts. I believe they still sell non-non iron shirts. I am fairly happy with my PF shirts. Occasionally the sizing is inconsistent, but they have always taken them back and issued a full refund, no questions asked--and they were monogrammed.

That said, you are probably going to get enough responses and opinions on this to have its own thread. Everybody has their favorites.
    Thanks for the reply. The site you mentioned may work, it just doesn’t mention much about their fabrics.

As you said, I will probably get a lot of replies. Hopefully there are others out there who opt for non-non iron shirts as well. So far most shirts that I am finding are $100~ for Egyptian cotton or something similar.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quoted
    199 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by B.edwards View Post
    Thanks for the reply. The site you mentioned may work, it just doesn’t mention much about their fabrics.

As you said, I will probably get a lot of replies. Hopefully there are others out there who opt for non-non iron shirts as well. So far most shirts that I am finding are $100~ for Egyptian cotton or something similar.
    You can filter the search results by types of fabric. They have a sale right now buy one, get one 50% off, on cotton broadcloth starting at $79 and egyptian cotton at $99. So, that works out to $60 or $75 per shirt. A bit out of your stated budget, but not bad for a better quality shirt. But--you can combine it with the other offer they have right now, $75 off $300 orders and get six shirts for $282--there you go--less than $50 each.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    You can filter the search results by types of fabric. They have a sale right now buy one, get one 50% off, on cotton broadcloth starting at $79 and egyptian cotton at $99. So, that works out to $60 or $75 per shirt. A bit out of your stated budget, but not bad for a better quality shirt. But--you can combine it with the other offer they have right now, $75 off $300 orders and get six shirts for $282--there you go--less than $50 each.
    I went ahead and sent them an email to confirm the shirts will work for me. If no one else has any suggestions I may pick up a couple to tide me over.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)
    @B.edwards Have you checked out Spier & Mackay? They get great reviews for their dress shirts and just about everything else the sell. They don't use non-iron fabrics and you can get bundle pricing of $45/shirt if you buy 3 or more.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    873 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    @B.edwards Have you checked out Spier & Mackay? They get great reviews for their dress shirts and just about everything else the sell. They don't use non-iron fabrics and you can get bundle pricing of $45/shirt if you buy 3 or more.
    +1. @B.edwards - S&M has some great white shirts. My favorite is your standard twill though their poplin is light weight but has had some issues with shrinkage that they are getting worked out. They also offer different cuffs depending on the shirt and semi or full spread options. Just a note, their easy iron is not a non-iron fabric. I have not looked into those but people seem happy with them.