Page 93 of 227 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143193 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    And jacket sizes already add that allowance or similar...so do not size up by 4!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsteg View Post
    And jacket sizes already add that allowance or similar...so do not size up by 4!
    " <- means inches. We're saying the same thing. A size 38 jacket fits a 38" chest so is sized around 42". However, I was explaining that he wants to be looking for a jacket with a chest size 4" bigger than his and a shoulder size 1"-1.5" bigger than his, not necessarily the jacket size that matches his own. That's why I gave the example of Banana Republic jackets being 2 sizes smaller than Suit Supply jackets, and thus me needing a different size for each brand. I was just trying to stress the importance of getting accurate measurements of the jacket relative to one's own for best results when purchasing online.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    " <- means inches. We're saying the same thing. A size 38 jacket fits a 38" chest so is sized around 42". However, I was explaining that he wants to be looking for a jacket with a chest size 4" bigger than his and a shoulder size 1"-1.5" bigger than his, not necessarily the jacket size that matches his own. That's why I gave the example of Banana Republic jackets being 2 sizes smaller than Suit Supply jackets, and thus me needing a different size for each brand. I was just trying to stress the importance of getting accurate measurements of the jacket relative to one's own for best results when purchasing online.
    I think @mattsteg was simply cautioning that everyone should read your post carefully. You didn't say to get a size 42 jacket for a 38" chest (which would obviously be a disaster). But I'll confess that, on my first quick read, I thought you did. Hope no one makes the same mistake without re-reading!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    Does anyone know what maker The Tie Bar uses to make their ties? I'm trying to get my hands on a few yards of their material for a project, but the folks at TTB can't hook me up directly.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vespertiliovir View Post
    I think @mattsteg was simply cautioning that everyone should read your post carefully. You didn't say to get a size 42 jacket for a 38" chest (which would obviously be a disaster). But I'll confess that, on my first quick read, I thought you did. Hope no one makes the same mistake without re-reading!
    Apologies! Definitely wasn't trying to call him out or anything. Just didn't want the OP of that question thinking that a blazer the size of his chest measurement was a sure thing

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nova View Post
    Apologies! Definitely wasn't trying to call him out or anything. Just didn't want the OP of that question thinking that a blazer the size of his chest measurement was a sure thing
    sizing of tailored clothing is never a sure thing as it never tells the full story, although a thorough set of measurements from a garment can help if available (But buying off the rack this is unlikely).

And plenty of times, a given cut won'twon't fit right in any size - in which case move on to something else. Always be willing to give up on a jacket - don'tdon't force it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    150 Post(s)
    Does anyone know anything about a "Burma" tie maker in China? Possibly one that makes some of the Stafford ties for JCP? I'm looking to find a few yards of the fabric there, and can't track them down online.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    Would these shoes be summer appropriate? I would be getting the taupe color, and they would be worn with shorts.

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/...-penny-loafers
    Last edited by Rocco; March 18th, 2015 at 08:44 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)
    I wouldn't wear it in winter.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    Would these shoes be summer appropriate? I would be getting the taupe color, and they would be worn with shorts.

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/...-penny-loafers
    There isn't another season I would wear those in, and I'd never wear them with socks.