Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classy and Dappered Holiday Wear

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)

Classy and Dappered Holiday Wear

Looking for opinions on what would be a nice updated holiday look for our family photos and wearing throughout the holidays (Thanksgiving, and Christmas) at work, going out, family gatherings, etc.? We are taking family photos and wanted something that would pull together a nice look.

I am thinking along the lines of a nice sport coat or sweater that hints at holidays but doesn't scream it over the top. Maybe a nice green or red blazer, shirt, or other? I'm a bit lost so help is greatly appreciated.

For other reference my son (10mons) got a red and green plaid shirt, gray bow tie, and gray shawl cardigan for the photos.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Black watch plaid. Green enough to make Christmas photos work. Dark enough to wear the rest of the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)
    I'd wear a brown tweed blazer—warm, comfortable, stylish, but also looks a little casual, so people won't be like "wow, why so dressed up?" I've got the J.Crew one which I really like, but S&P has some beautiful ones.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1065 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aręte View Post
    I'd wear a brown tweed blazer—warm, comfortable, stylish, but also looks a little casual, so people won't be like "wow, why so dressed up?" I've got the J.Crew one which I really like, but S&P has some beautiful ones.
    My vote is tweed in any number of colors. Brown is great but you also have navy and gray which work well dressed up and down. Depending on the shades of red and green, those could work but those would offer less flexibility.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    Accessories are good for holiday wear, particularly pocket squares. As they are small, a pattern or colour combination that in quantity would be garish becomes stylish or whimsical. To really emphasize the holiday theme, pair a solid shirt in a holiday colour (but fall tone, such as forest or hunter green) with a grey or brown tweed jacket and a pocket square in a contrasting, bright holiday colour/pattern (say, red and silver stripe).

This strategy avoids relying on just one element to convey the holiday theme, which can look awkward. Instead, the pieces combine to create an outfit that's more than the sum of its parts. Just don't overdo it; you want an outfit that suggests a seasonal theme, not a costume that screams it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the tips so far. I like the idea of a tweed blazer with a holiday pocket square type to bring in that holiday look without it being over the top. Great ideas. Thank you all.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tayloreuph View Post
    Black watch plaid. Green enough to make Christmas photos work. Dark enough to wear the rest of the year
    I was just about to say this.

I got some RL pants for a steal in Gordon Modern (Blackwatch with a yellow stripe) and that and a dark blazer, white shirt, is my go-to for holiday garb.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1110 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I was just about to say this.

I got some RL pants for a steal in Gordon Modern (Blackwatch with a yellow stripe) and that and a dark blazer, white shirt, is my go-to for holiday garb.
    I just bouht a blackwatch shirt...finally. one of the only plaid type patterns I like

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I've been eyeing this one, and it was just part of a flash sale. But don't have the budget for it right now https://www.spierandmackay.com/harri...litan-cut.html

Also curious about the J.Crew Velvet https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...=atlantic-navy
    Last edited by 77Pat; November 12th, 2019 at 07:50 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    I just bouht a blackwatch shirt...finally. one of the only plaid type patterns I like
    I had one from Kamakura which I liked until I blew out the elbow (sold out on US site) http://www.kamakurashirts.net/shop/g/gWG100945S/