Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with old/ripped clothes?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quoted
    497 Post(s)

What to do with old/ripped clothes?

This may be a simple throw them in the trash answer but thought I’d ask first then creating more waste.

I have a pair of S&M trousers that ripped near the rear pocket. Tailor said they cannot be fixed without it looking poor. Thankfully this is due to more squats then donuts haha

Is there any value in keeping old pants for use to repair other items etc or do you just toss them?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    In theory, you could pull a few usable parts, like buttons, from them for emergency fixes on other pairs. However, there's not much to do at this point besides throw them away.

Other clothing items are able to be easily reused more than wool pants. For example, I've use squares from old t-shirts as garage shop rags.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    I used my throwaways as rags for shining shoes and boots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    If the repair is not too costly, have them repaired and then donate them.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1122 Post(s)
    If I cant use it for work clothes, rags, or whatever, then I donate to goodwill. They recycle textiles that cant be sold...

https://www.goodwillwa.org/donate/re...ustainability/

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    Ripped or holey t-shirts or gym clothes are a throw away, things which dont fit are donated. Everything else just gets down graded to off-duty or turned into something else.
    I have a brooks oxford which has significant wear around the collar and a hole at the armpit. I now use it for gardening, housework, and camping. I've turned many ripped or stained chinos into cutoffs, or I just wear them on the weekends. Well fitting chinos with minor flaws still look pretty dang good, and the flaws give them character.

Maybe your pants cant be repaired, but I am sure they could be patched right?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    This may be a simple throw them in the trash answer but thought I’d ask first then creating more waste.

I have a pair of S&M trousers that ripped near the rear pocket. Tailor said they cannot be fixed without it looking poor. Thankfully this is due to more squats then donuts haha

Is there any value in keeping old pants for use to repair other items etc or do you just toss them?
    I use as rags and donate some to a recycling or reuse place. Not Goodwill which treats its staff like crap.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    401 Post(s)
    I only throw away clothes that I have badly stained by using them as rags repeatedly.

Otherwise, I drop them off as a donation. If you call ahead to donation dropoff places, some will collect "unwearable" clothing for textile recycling. I have one in my area that will pretty much take anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    I use them as rags also.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    562 Post(s)
    Some of the Goodwill stores local to my area welcome unwearable clothing for recycling. Based on the posts above, it appears that they do in other parts of the country as well.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?