Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Softest, most comfortable shoe you've tried?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)

Softest, most comfortable shoe you've tried?

I'm still in love with my unbelievably soft Sea Island loafers from Allen Edmonds. Seeing how much I enjoy wearing them got me thinking... I need another nice, but casual pair or two for warm weather (which here in San Diego is pretty much all year), and I'm particularly interested in buying the softest, most comfortable shoes I can find. I assume any such list would be dominated by loafers and possibly suede?

What has been the most comfortable shoe you've tried?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    Sperry gold cup boat shoes were really comfortable from the get go. They're pricer than standard boat shoes but definitely a step up from Sperry originals or Sebago. And speaking of pricey, Alden suede plain toe bluchers flex welt or Alden suede unlined chukka flex welt are super comfortable. On the sneaker front, Allbirds are like slippers. They're not the most stylish but man are they comfy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Sperry gold cup boat shoes were really comfortable from the get go. They're pricer than standard boat shoes but definitely a step up from Sperry originals or Sebago. And speaking of pricey, Alden suede plain toe bluchers flex welt or Alden suede unlined chukka flex welt are super comfortable. On the sneaker front, Allbirds are like slippers. They're not the most stylish but man are they comfy.
    Nice. I've actually been SUPER curious about Allbirds. They're a bit out of my usual style, but a wool shoe you can machine was, wear with or without socks, and replace for under $100 is super attractive. Have yours held up reasonably well? I'd say that's my only real concern...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jikaasik View Post
    Nice. I've actually been SUPER curious about Allbirds. They're a bit out of my usual style, but a wool shoe you can machine was, wear with or without socks, and replace for under $100 is super attractive. Have yours held up reasonably well? I'd say that's my only real concern...
    The wool ones have held up for me for multiple washes

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jikaasik View Post
    I've only had them for a month so I can't speak to their longevity. I wasn't sure about them at first but then got a chance to try them on in store and was immediately sold.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    535 Post(s)
    Sneakers: Nike Free 2016s ... I've been holding on to mine for awhile (oxi-clean every 6 mons or so) because the new ones don't look or feel the same.
    Dress shoes: Cole Haan Double Monks. Maybe they just fit my feet perfectly but they are great. My go to casual dress shoe.

Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2116 Post(s)
    I've always been blown away by how comfortable are the sub-$100, made-in-Italy suede chukkas I got from Nordstrom's 1901 brand a while back. Not the Barrett ones (which were also great) frequently featured on the site, but these "Tyler" ones.

Unfortunately it looks like maybe Nordstrom has killed the brand an it's just select sizes available at Rack now?

Oddly the reviews aren't that great for this shoe but I've often thought that if I had to travel somewhere to somewhere like Europe where I wanted a pair of shoes that was both good for walking and not a sneaker, this is probably the pair I'd take.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Quoted
    329 Post(s)
    Drake’s moc toe chukka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    I'll vouch for the comfort of the Allbirds but without knowing what "nice but casual" is for you, it's hard to make recommendations. Casual for the office or casual for a Sunday morning around town? I wear the Allbirds quite a bit for travel and love them for the comfort. I can't wear them when a day of walking is required (though my wife loves them for that) because they don't have enough support for my feet. For a casual summer day with shorts on, my Born Oceans are the most comfortable I have. I also like my AE Porters, if that's what you mean by casual.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    284 Post(s)
    I second the Sperry Gold Cup, but one warning....if you are sockless and your feet sweat at all, you will stain your feet orange because of the lining. It’s not a big deal, but my wife made fun of me the first year I had mine. I am on year two with less staining now.

I love my Oak Street Bootmakers penny loafers. The soft CXL leather just molds to your feet.

Why not buy another color Sea Island? They are my most comfortable loafers too!