Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1028 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    My first question would be why black? Outdoors in August in black sounds awful. Plus, many people prefer not to wear black unless it's a funeral or very formal event, so you may be limiting the re-wear possibilities of the suit for you and them. Light gray, medium gray, blue, or navy would be options to think about at least.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurps View Post
    My first question would be why black? Outdoors in August in black sounds awful. Plus, many people prefer not to wear black unless it's a funeral or very formal event, so you may be limiting the re-wear possibilities of the suit for you and them. Light gray, medium gray, blue, or navy would be options to think about at least.
    The colores we have chosen are black red and white. We went SDSU, which were the school colors and we are already committed to that color scheme. We will be wearing red ties, pocket squares, and white boutonnieres.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    193 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darwin503 View Post
    First, Am I crazy for going with a suit over a tux?

And second, is it possible to get a nice suit for under $200? I will probably have to at least supplement the cost of the suits for my groomsmen, so I have to stay on budget. I'm not including the shirt, tie, etc. Under $200 for jacket and pants. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I saw a Kenneth Cole Reaction suit for $169 at Macy's today that looked nice, but I don't own a suit, and have no idea what I'm looking for. I know I like slim fits, but one of my groomsman is pushing 300lbs.
    I black tux may be useful to you if you have events to wear it to (I personally am not living a lifestyle at the moment where I have any opportunity to wear a tux). A black suit is not as useful as a navy or grey suit down the line, but it sounds like there is no changing this now.

I would say that under $200 there is no such thing as a "nice suit", unless you score an amazing deal on an end-of-season suit that's been marked down substancially. This is not something you can cound on finding, either in your size, never mind for yourself and all your groomsmen. I would just go for whatever black suit fits you and your groomsmen and meets your budget any not worry about quality, since at that pricepoint they are probably not all that different.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    271 Post(s)
    You might want to consider charcoal. It often reads as black and would be more useful afterwards for job interviews, etc.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    is combatant gentleman no longer a good source for a cheap, quality suit?

Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1028 Post(s)
    @darwin503 here's the latest as far as Joe is concerned: https://dappered.com/2017/09/has-com...t-of-business/

Personally, I'd avoid them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by darwin503 View Post
    is combatant gentleman no longer a good source for a cheap, quality suit?
    Most would argue that combat gent was never a good source for a cheap, quality suit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    I agree with charcoal being more useful for future use while still coming close to black for the purpose he said. I also think at under $200 if you can't find a great deal you should at least hold each groomsmens hand to get it tailored so the fit is on point. A well fitting suit can always cover up cheaper fabric I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202222489197

I want to buy this dress for my wife, who is a size 16 and I need help on how 'one size' works? Her size is quite common and easy to find so will this fit her? I want to surprise her so I don't want to ask her just yet. Any help is useful.