Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    @steu4718, here's a recent thread:

http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...on-Sport-Coats

Welcome to the forum!
    Thanks! I did a search, but didn't see that thread. I guess I didn't go far enough back. This is a pretty active forum!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    Can anyone recommend some good thrifting spots in the UK? I'll be in London, Oxford, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Inverness, Nairn, Skye, Mull, Oban, and Stratford-upon-Avon.

I'd love to find a nice Harris Tweed sport coat to commemorate the trip. Not interested in shoes or other clothes, but I'm aways on the lookout for a classic olive quilted jacket.

Much appreciated!

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1523 Post(s)
    I haven't shopped at any of these locations myself, but I did come across this link this morning. Hope it helps: http://www.fashionbeans.com/2015/pre...ignment-sites/

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    Can anyone recommend some good thrifting spots in the UK? I'll be in London, Oxford, Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Inverness, Nairn, Skye, Mull, Oban, and Stratford-upon-Avon.

I'd love to find a nice Harris Tweed sport coat to commemorate the trip. Not interested in shoes or other clothes, but I'm aways on the lookout for a classic olive quilted jacket.

Much appreciated!
    Are you looking for tweed or quilted??

I'm not going to be much help on the thrifting locations, although with a trip to London planned in the fall would love to see the other suggestions. I will say that I currently use my father's tweed jacket he bought more than 30 years ago. Which either suggests that a second hand version will have plenty of life left in it, or that buying a new one will not be money thrown away as it should last for decades.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    Should have been more clear; I'm looking for both a tweed sport coat and an olive quilted jacket.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    I have a pair of AE Macneils (which I really love) that I've had only since August, and they already have significant wear in the heel. In one spot the rubber layer has worn almost down to where the heel starts to be a different material (leather?). Short of getting a new heel at a cobbler (or sending them back to AE for recrafting which would be overkill at this point given their light wear otherwise), is there any way to protect the heel from further wear? Some sort of plate or something one could put on there?

I walk to work every day (about 1.5 miles round trip) and wear these once or twice a week, so I'll continue to get some wear unless I do something about this. (Well, I'll continue to get wear either way, but I don't want to ruin the rest of the heel.)

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ELNJ View Post
    I have a pair of AE Macneils (which I really love) that I've had only since August, and they already have significant wear in the heel. In one spot the rubber layer has worn almost down to where the heel starts to be a different material (leather?). Short of getting a new heel at a cobbler (or sending them back to AE for recrafting which would be overkill at this point given their light wear otherwise), is there any way to protect the heel from further wear? Some sort of plate or something one could put on there?

I walk to work every day (about 1.5 miles round trip) and wear these once or twice a week, so I'll continue to get some wear unless I do something about this. (Well, I'll continue to get wear either way, but I don't want to ruin the rest of the heel.)
    Heel taps. A cobler (or yourself) can put them on. Cost me like $6 to get some put on. Feels weird in the beginning as most of the time they are plastic but it helps with wear.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Should I get the Orient Ray in blue or black? I love the brilliance of the blue, but the black would go better with the bond NATO strap I have. I have several navy NATOs and a few brown leather bands. I only have a navy suit and most of my dress shoes are brown. So torn

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by firemunkee View Post
    Should I get the Orient Ray in blue or black? I love the brilliance of the blue, but the black would go better with the bond NATO strap I have. I have several navy NATOs and a few brown leather bands. I only have a navy suit and most of my dress shoes are brown. So torn
    So your only reason for getting the black is because of the NATO? If I understand that correctly, why not get the blue and pick up a NATO for it?