Page 95 of 227 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145195 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    does the fit of ludlow suit/sportcoats equally the same with the thompson sportcoats?
    i really like the fit of ludlow, but the nearst jcf is 50 miles from my house.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sugarfree View Post
    does the fit of ludlow suit/sportcoats equally the same with the thompson sportcoats?
    i really like the fit of ludlow, but the nearst jcf is 50 miles from my house.
    In my experience, they fit similarly enough that you should get the same size Ludlow as Thompson. Some people say they fit just the same, but I seem to hear more people say that the Thompson is just a touch roomier. I've tried on plenty of Thompsons, but not enough Ludlows to give you a more detailed answer than that. Also, be aware that different materials of the same cut will fit differently, so don't try on a fully lined tweed Ludlow and expect a half lined seersucker Thompson to fit the same. You might not need to size up or down, but it will drape differently. I'm sure you knew all that, but I don't want to assume.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    Thanks Rocco!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Out of curiosity, do most of you guys limit yourselves to the cost of the jacket when it comes to tailoring costs or for inexpensive things do you sometimes spend a little more than what you paid for the jacket?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    737 Post(s)
    can anyone tell me if this material is twill?

http://custom.luxire.com/collections...te_herringbone

shirt arrived...and i honestly still cant tell

herringbone shirts tend to be twill...but are all herringbone shirts twill?
    Last edited by Scofield; April 3rd, 2015 at 04:36 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoGeen View Post
    Out of curiosity, do most of you guys limit yourselves to the cost of the jacket when it comes to tailoring costs or for inexpensive things do you sometimes spend a little more than what you paid for the jacket?
    I don't think about it that way. The relative cost of the piece to tailoring doesn't matter, just the total cost of piece + tailoring when compared to the alternative(s).

If I buy a thrift store jacket I really like that almost but not quite fits and spend twice the price of the jacket to get the fit just right, more often than not I'm happier than if I'd spent the same total price to by a brand new jacket that fits okay OTR.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quoted
    410 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoGeen View Post
    The best way is to create a budget for an item that includes tailoring. So if you have $300 for a jacket, then you have several options. If you are lucky, then all the jackets you want, won't need tailoring (not going to happen). I think though, even if I got a $20 jacket second hand, I wouldn't spend $280 tailoring it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    737 Post(s)
    is it good/bad/doesnt matter if i keep the timer on an automatic chronograph watch running non stop? it just really annoys me having the seconds hand staying flat at the 12 o clock position

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    737 Post(s)
    thoughts on wearing regular brown leather (belt/watch strap) with walnut strands?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1107 Post(s)
    It could cause unnecessary wear to the chronograph function since it is running all the time. May need serviced sooner. As for the belt/shoes, I do this with my Daltons.