Page 75 of 227 FirstFirst ... 2565737475767785125175 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    Has anyone actually tried wearing the JCrew Dock Peacoat over a suit/blazer/sport coat? I tried a friends on and wonder if this actually works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekH View Post
    Has anyone actually tried wearing the JCrew Dock Peacoat over a suit/blazer/sport coat? I tried a friends on and wonder if this actually works.
    Yes, I did it most of last winter and since my overcoat is getting its buttons repaired today, right now as well! It's fine, kind of a casual coat for formal attire, but definitely not bad. A bit constricting but nothing serious. It covers the suit jacket completely, nothing hangs out of the bottom.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Anyone have experience with the J. Crew jeans in 770 and 1040 styles? I'm trying to decide between the two, but I'm not sure if the 770 is going to be too tight. I have an athletic build, but smaller calves and I don't like things too tight/skinny. Curious if someone has tried both and can provide more info on the fit beside what J. Crew says on their site.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iCraig View Post
    Anyone have experience with the J. Crew jeans in 770 and 1040 styles? I'm trying to decide between the two, but I'm not sure if the 770 is going to be too tight. I have an athletic build, but smaller calves and I don't like things too tight/skinny. Curious if someone has tried both and can provide more info on the fit beside what J. Crew says on their site.
    I have this same question, if anyone knows. How do they compare to the 484 fit?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jayashae View Post
    I have this same question, if anyone knows. How do they compare to the 484 fit?
    You could ask J. Crew customer support for measurments as well. They can give you exact measurements for the item you are looking at.

I don't have any experience with their denim, but I recently compared the 1040 and 770 fits with their corduroys. They are cut very similarly. The major difference was the tapering. The 770 had a much greater taper below the knee (smaller leg opening). Otherwise the thighs/hip/waist were very close. The 1040 did have a slightly higher rise as well.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    I have the 770 in their vintage cord, I assume their jeans fit similar. They are my favorite pair of pants, fit-wise. I tried the 484 and they were skin-tight, so I returned them for the 770 and they fit perfectly for me. I have an athletic build with kind of large thighs, but they are not uncomfortably tight and they have a great taper at the calf without being skinny.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quoted
    357 Post(s)
    Do I have any chance of finding a year round wool navy blazer with soft or unstructured shoulders for less than $200? I feel like I have been on a fool's errand for 2 months

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1106 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocco View Post
    Do I have any chance of finding a year round wool navy blazer with soft or unstructured shoulders for less than $200? I feel like I have been on a fool's errand for 2 months
    Joe reviewed this on the main page:
    http://dappered.com/2013/04/the-made...on-sport-coat/
    http://dappered.com/2014/05/the-sugg...-there-blazer/

http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Abboud-...8765339&sr=1-3

I have wanted to try JA from Amazon but have not made a purchase yet. Some of the jackets look good and are 100% wool, it is just trying to figure out what size to order and if the description is accurate. If they turned out to be decent jackets, the $200 price point would open up a ton of options for patterns that people generally ask for on here. Also the lapels are usually 3" which is nice.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    eBay can be great. Although it can also be a fool's errand. I've found a two cashmere mainline Zegna jackets for a little over $200 together. But there's also a lot of orphaned suit jackets out there, sizing is always tough, and telling how soft the shoulders are can be difficult.

Otherwise, sign up for the Sierra Trading Post deal flyers and see if you can get a good HF, Jack Victor or JA on one of their 70% off things.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    What size are you roughly?