Page 62 of 222 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    I would say the corduroy, rather. For a college student, the tweed seems like it might look like you're in "stereotypical college professor" costume. Corduroy works well and you can still dress it up/down as needed. Works more for the kinds of parties I expect students to be attending.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)
    I loved corduroy and jeans in college. Tweed I wouldn't have touched with a 10 ft pole, but maybe I was too young and unworldly.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Hey guys, quick question:
    I'm a poor grad student and need something to get me through a Boston winter. I'm debating between the LL Bean duck boots with Thinsulate and something like the Chippewa Apache/ Service boots (I will waterproof them). I already have some more casual options like Clarks DB and the Deacons. Any advice?

P.S. I also work in a pretty casual office where either should be okay but the Chips may be better.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quoted
    238 Post(s)
    If you live in Boston how can you pass on the Beans? Eh? Eh?

Joking aside, I think the Chipps Service boot is pretty sweet. But I've never spent a winter up north so I'd imagine we are thinking of two very different things when it comes to "bad weather".

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    LL Bean. That's what they're designed for.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2081 Post(s)
    Get Bean boots (one of the insulated versions) and keep a pair of work shoes to switch into at the office.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I was able to jump on the deal for Red Wing Beckman's but in a Black Featherstone for $183 shipped! I already have the 1Ks in brown so do you think I will be able to get some good use out the black RW's? I really wanted the Cigar color but maybe Black is not a bad color to have considering I have the 1K's. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)
    I'd get the duck boots or wait for a sale on Sorels (similar).

I personally was able to snake these in the recent BB sale for this winter; we'll see how they handle some ice and snow on walks to work in DC - http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Hiking...efault,pd.html

Sadly, they're out of stock but I got 'em for like $85.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Has anyone tried the J.Crew Factory Thompson in Flannel? Looking to add a little warmth this year for another long NYC winter. Curious as to what people's thoughts are. I have a Factory Thompson in Navy Wool and I'm quite happy with it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmcgeever View Post
    I'll vote for tweed too. Depends on your climate tho. I've got this one from JCF and I can only really wear it when its in the 50s, which isn't too often in Houston.
    @bjmcgeever or @groomt, what are the wool/nylon percentages on that tweed jacket? The JCF site doesn't say - but at $78 the brown one is pretty tempting.