Page 5 of 214 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LosRockets View Post
    I'm confused by your use of business casual here, but if you're normally wearing a sporcoat for work the topcoat is much easier to dress down to something like an OCBD, lambswool sweater, and dark denim or chinos than the car coat is to dress up. At the most basic level, the dimensions of the topcoat are designed with a jacket of some sort underneath it in mind (shoulders and length in particular), whereas the carcoat isn't and to accommodate it you'd likely have to size up lest you totally wrinkle what you're wearing. And while I've mostly seen this done by Hollywood sorts, you can definitely do a topcoat, t-shirt, jeans, and boots if you have the physique for it (and if the weather somehow makes sense for that).
    Thanks. I don't wear sportcoats to work. I am thinking the J Crew University coat is a better call for me

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    I tend to buy every button-up shirt to tuck. I only go untucked with t-shirts and polos.

Quote Originally Posted by sean_anon View Post
    Do you have any luck with in-between length shirts that work tucked and untucked?

I have pretty much given up on this off the rack but am considering trying with a new order from Proper Cloth. My first order was perfectly long and awesome for tucking only which is fine. The next one I was looking at is a Navyish Oxford cloth

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zcm View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I have been looking at the AE shoebanks list of belts... anyone ever order a belt from them?
    I own 5 or 6 belts from Allen Edmonds and I love them. I wear them all the time too although they aren't that old yet.

Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    All right, I've got a quick question. I've been keeping an eye out for a piece of lightweight outerwear. Something windbreaker-y (in terms of function, if not necessarily style). The kind of thing to throw on when it's 65 and a bit breezy and just a shirt isn't quite going to cut it, or when it's warm during the day but you know the temps are going to drop at night.

Right now I'm tempted by these, which are on sale:

Opinions?
    I am not a huge fan of any of those options. I'd probably choose like a windbreaker style or a barracuda style jacket. To each their own though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Well, I guess it's kind of a big fuck-you to @Duvel for his question on the Burgess Blazer, so maybe how about if I ask you about this: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

I'm quite taken by the partial linen weave and the military look.

There is this on sale: http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/i...entPage=family

The sale section has a number of good-looking shirts on sale, come to think of it.

Mentioned
    420 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2011 Post(s)
    You did get quite a bit of feedback on the Burgess jacket in the thread you started about it....

Personally I'm not crazy about those shirts. Certainly not at full price ($125) or even the sale price ($90). Ask me again if they're $30 or less. The colors are rather bland and I can't tell if they have collar stays - I hate shirts that don't have collar stays and don't button down.
    Ben

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Really? Hmm. I guess to me the bland color is part of the military look. It's military khaki drab.

I don't really care for collar stays myself unless I'm wearing a dress shirt with a tie.

But thank you. Your feedback's giving me pause.

Anyone else on the PRL shirts?

For some reason, I find myself liking the PRL shirts these days. I used to own some of their shirts, and found that they usually fit well. And I have one of last year's PRL rugby's in custom fit that I like a lot.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    I hate shirts that don't have collar stays and don't button down.
    Same. Its either collar stays or a button down collar for me.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Really! Wow, I never knew collar stays could be the deciding factor.

So assuming there are collar stays, how do you like the shirts?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    All right, I've got a quick question. I've been keeping an eye out for a piece of lightweight outerwear. Something windbreaker-y (in terms of function, if not necessarily style). The kind of thing to throw on when it's 65 and a bit breezy and just a shirt isn't quite going to cut it, or when it's warm during the day but you know the temps are going to drop at night.
    It being Barbour seems to have changed Duvel's mind :P It hasn't changed mine. I wouldn't wear those even if Hedi Slimane cut and sewed them himself, and I'll wear almost anything he puts out. They look really unflattering; there's a reason they're on sale.

For that niche in your wardrobe, there are tons of options. Field jacket is a good one, so are bombers (probably a bit trendy for you though) or even Baracutas. Also denim jackets, baseball jackets... you have a ton of options.

Duvel, I can't see that blazer ever getting 325 dollars of use, even if it lasts 30 years. For one thing, waxed cotton is designed for water repellent properties (at least, it was...); blazers aren't exactly the best way to stay covered (with button fronts and lapels) in the rain. The jacket itself is kind of weird for that. Fit looks awful (but then again that's based on my judgment of fit, which is quite different from yours), and most of all it seems like an item you'd really like for maybe 3 months before you got entranced with another piece of nicer waxed cotton outerwear, and then you'd never wear it again. If you're willing to fork out that much for waxed cotton, you can do better. Or fork out a bit more and see if you can't get a Belstaff on sale.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanquish View Post
    I own 5 or 6 belts from Allen Edmonds and I love them. I wear them all the time too although they aren't that old yet.
    AE belts scare me. I've read reviews that have stated cracking in the leather. Sounds pretty dodgy to me since their belts tend to retail for $100