Page 57 of 222 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    A quick addition to my own question here - a little more reading suggests that a bit of sleeve lengthening is generally straightforward (assuming non-working buttons), but that with cotton it's harder to get rid of the crease than with wool. So any thoughts from someone who has tried this with a cotton jacket would be appreciated. The jacket in question here (Banana Republic Factory Grey Donegal Blazer) is 100% cotton.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)
    Are Versace ties any special deal? I found one at the local thrift store (navy, tiny polka dot) for 7 bucks, and I could use it even if it were made by Bob's Tie and Screen Door Repair. But am I getting a great deal, or just a plain old tie?

This assumes that it's legit, and not a knockoff.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    I've done November weddings. I've done beach weddings. I've just been invited to a wedding on the beach.....in November.

Any suggestions for something appropriate for the weather and the venue? Is it even possible?

I guess I should stipulate east coast weekend after thanksgiving. Could be 60, could be snowing.

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quick Question:
    Any thoughts on good undershirt options? I don't really want to move out of the "budget" price range for something like undershirts, so under $10 / shirt. My frame of reference is Alfani slim undershirts from Macy's and the Nordstrom house brand slims.

Thanks in advance!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprnova23 View Post
    Quick Question:
    Any thoughts on good undershirt options? I don't really want to move out of the "budget" price range for something like undershirts, so under $10 / shirt. My frame of reference is Alfani slim undershirts from Macy's and the Nordstrom house brand slims.

Thanks in advance!
    Grey Uniqlo Supima Cotton V-Neck Undershirts, $9.90 for 2 right now (usually $12.90) http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men...supima-cotton/ Some have advocated for Airism as well, and they are nice in hot weather, but I prefer a cotton over synthetic feel. But it depends on location and preference.

Note that the Supima Cotton run a little short so if you are a tall-ish fellow, they might not work for you. A Medium fits my 5'9" frame very well.
    "Tempus Fugit"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Many of my dress shirts have the lowest front buttonhole cut horizontally instead of vertically. Is there a purpose for this, other than making the last button harder to button?

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2081 Post(s)
    Presumably because the other buttons are at or above your waist, where there is little horizontal stress against the buttons, whereas the bottom button is at or below your waist, where there is horizontal stress due to the movement of your hips and legs. A button is less likely to undo itself from horizontally-oriented buttonhole when it is under horizontally-oriented stress.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    78 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudonihm View Post
    Grey Uniqlo Supima Cotton V-Neck Undershirts, $9.90 for 2 right now (usually $12.90) http://www.uniqlo.com/us/product/men...supima-cotton/ Some have advocated for Airism as well, and they are nice in hot weather, but I prefer a cotton over synthetic feel. But it depends on location and preference.
    Thanks for the suggestions - too bad they are completely out of stock of medium grey v-necks in both of their cotton styles. Do you know if they re-stock basics like this regularly?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Presumably because the other buttons are at or above your waist, where there is little horizontal stress against the buttons, whereas the bottom button is at or below your waist, where there is horizontal stress due to the movement of your hips and legs. A button is less likely to undo itself from horizontally-oriented buttonhole when it is under horizontally-oriented stress.
    I think this is right...same principle, but I also think it makes the bottom button less likely to come undone when you have to move/untuck your shirt to use the restroom.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ELNJ View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions - too bad they are completely out of stock of medium grey v-necks in both of their cotton styles. Do you know if they re-stock basics like this regularly?
    They restock them frequently. But it may be after the price goes back to 12.90.
    "Tempus Fugit"