Page 56 of 226 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)
    Quick question fellas -

I am a theater performer and have been embracing the dappered lifestyle the past 6 months or so, and have gotten a reasonable amount of new duds. I have seen a lot regarding things to wear at the gym etc - but that doesn't fit for a few reasons: 1. Although most theater rehearsals are active, they don't require a lot of sweating 2. Most rehearsal facilities are not equipped for changing. My issue is though, is, I still want to look stylish but I can't be dressed too warmly and gym shoes or jazz shoes are often required for movement. Wearing gym shoes outside the gym isn't ideal, but are there any outfit ideas or pairings you think can look good in this scenario?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by navidson View Post
    Quick question fellas -

I am a theater performer and have been embracing the dappered lifestyle the past 6 months or so, and have gotten a reasonable amount of new duds. I have seen a lot regarding things to wear at the gym etc - but that doesn't fit for a few reasons: 1. Although most theater rehearsals are active, they don't require a lot of sweating 2. Most rehearsal facilities are not equipped for changing. My issue is though, is, I still want to look stylish but I can't be dressed too warmly and gym shoes or jazz shoes are often required for movement. Wearing gym shoes outside the gym isn't ideal, but are there any outfit ideas or pairings you think can look good in this scenario?
    Change into the gym or jazz shoes for their functional purpose while there, change out after you're done. They'll last longer as a plus. Plain henley and some flat-front shorts or gym shorts if required. This is a situation for function over appearance, so you aren't exactly going to look "dapper", but you're wearing most of what you're wearing for a reason.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGL View Post
    Incorrect. The act of trying things on doesn't usually cost a B&M retailer anything.
    If you're talking about chain retailers, like BR or J Crew, there might be some leeway, but a small brick and mortar store does not have the same level of income stream that the big stores do. If you went to a high end shoe store like Leather Soul Hawaii, asked to try on a pair of $1500 John Lobb shoes and then walked out without purchasing you have just cost that store money. Why? Because you've wasted the sales person's time and you've put your disgusting feet in a pair of $1500 shoes, not to mention potentially wrinkling them in the process. These shoes are no longer 'brand new' and could've been sold to a paying customer who knows what they're doing. This practice of 'trying before buying' is ridiculous. I bit the bullet on all of my online shoe purchases and luckily got them all right.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post
    If you're talking about chain retailers, like BR or J Crew, there might be some leeway, but a small brick and mortar store does not have the same level of income stream that the big stores do. If you went to a high end shoe store like Leather Soul Hawaii, asked to try on a pair of $1500 John Lobb shoes and then walked out without purchasing you have just cost that store money. Why? Because you've wasted the sales person's time and you've put your disgusting feet in a pair of $1500 shoes, not to mention potentially wrinkling them in the process. These shoes are no longer 'brand new' and could've been sold to a paying customer who knows what they're doing. This practice of 'trying before buying' is ridiculous. I bit the bullet on all of my online shoe purchases and luckily got them all right.
    You are absolutely correct. However how many dappered readers are buying $1500 shoes at some boutique or even the same shoes for half the price elsewhere? I would guess few to none. You example is true, but I think you are reaching.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Quick question about the J. Crew Factory Thompson Sportcoat in Herringbone. It's on sale right now for $108.50 and I'd really like to pick it up, but I want to know if this is a good price now or if it's possible it'll go on sale for less in the relatively near future. I've never shopped with them before so I'm not very familiar with how low they'll go on these types of things. Thanks.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TartanMan View Post
    Quick question about the J. Crew Factory Thompson Sportcoat in Herringbone. It's on sale right now for $108.50 and I'd really like to pick it up, but I want to know if this is a good price now or if it's possible it'll go on sale for less in the relatively near future. I've never shopped with them before so I'm not very familiar with how low they'll go on these types of things. Thanks.
    for jcf, there are two types of sales, price as marked and code for a % off. right now through the 1st it's an as marked sale. if the next sale, starting mon at midnight, is a %off code, it will cross over with the as marked code bc it takes a while for them to change the prices. so i'd wait until mon night, check to see if there's a code, buy it then.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TartanMan View Post
    ~$100 isn't bad. It will probably drop lower, but might be out of your size or be past a big chunk of the season (i.e. sale price in December or January) when it can be worn. Figure out if it's worth hoping and waiting in exchange for maybe saving $15-$20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Maybe you guys can talk me out of a purchase. I've already got a navy structured cotton sport coat; would an unstructured version be redundant? I'm not sure if buying one would really be filling a gap or if it's just me starting to prefer the vibe of an unstructured jacket.

If anything, I'm starting to feel the structured jacket is an unnecessary middle ground between unstructured cotton (casual) and structured wool (work).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoodyRoger1047 View Post
    Maybe you guys can talk me out of a purchase. I've already got a navy structured cotton sport coat; would an unstructured version be redundant? I'm not sure if buying one would really be filling a gap or if it's just me starting to prefer the vibe of an unstructured jacket.

If anything, I'm starting to feel the structured jacket is an unnecessary middle ground between unstructured cotton (casual) and structured wool (work).
    If you aren't replacing one of the two it sounds like you already own, it's a frivolous purchase. This doesn't make it a wrong decision, just a decision that isn't "helping" because now you'll have three navy blazers, where two would do the same exact work required. Either replace one or look into a different unstructured jacket is my advice.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    Two questions about this jacket, which I'm very tempted by:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=190111002

1. It only comes in chest sizes, but not lengths. I normally wear 42L, but presumably the 42 listed here would be something like a 42R. In general, is it possible to *lengthen* blazer sleeves a bit and still have it look OK?

2. Does anyone have experience with the quality of "Made exclusively for Factory Stores" items from BR? I have that question not only about this jacket, but about the Aiden chinos that they also have listed on the site.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.