Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    77 Post(s)
    Any opinions on this jacket?

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop...1_10050_392074

52% silk / 48% wool.

For context, I currently own essentially no blazers / sportcoats - I have a couple of suit jackets that could pass in a pinch. I'm just starting to try to up my game a bit and wear a coat more often. I teach at a small college, so essentially anything goes for work dress (except super-dressy). Wearing a coat at all puts me on the dressier end of the spectrum. I'm looking to start with some inexpensive (but hopefully decent quality, decent looking) jackets while I'm figuring out what I really like, so this is a candidate. Thanks for any thoughts, and/or suggestions about other options to consider.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    I'm hoping you guys will be able to offer insight or some of you are also searching for this as well for the upcoming winter: Which U.S. websites offer 100% authentic wool tweed pants (Harris comes to mind, but doesn't have to be this specific brand) in preferably a windowpane pattern? I've come across a few websites, but they're all (not surprisingly) UK websites:

fifecountry.co.uk
    walkerslater.co.uk
    ewm.co.uk
    harristweedshop.co.uk

I'm hoping to avoid high international shipping rates (40+ British Pounds in some cases) by finding a US online retailer. I look forward to hearing your responses.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ELNJ View Post

52% silk / 48% wool.
    I'd have to say no to this one due to the silk/wool combo making it look like a suit jacket and awfully shiny. Try to avoid or at least minimize the silk content to keep it more casual-looking. For affordable retail options, keep looking at JAB, Lands End, BR, and JCrew. Best of luck.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc999 View Post
    I'm hoping you guys will be able to offer insight or some of you are also searching for this as well for the upcoming winter: Which U.S. websites offer 100% authentic wool tweed pants (Harris comes to mind, but doesn't have to be this specific brand) in preferably a windowpane pattern? I've come across a few websites, but they're all (not surprisingly) UK websites:

fifecountry.co.uk
    walkerslater.co.uk
    ewm.co.uk
    harristweedshop.co.uk

I'm hoping to avoid high international shipping rates (40+ British Pounds in some cases) by finding a US online retailer. I look forward to hearing your responses.
    J crew may release some, but they'll likely be as part of a suit, and thus be wayyyy too expensive. Brooks Brothers and J Press may have some. Also check out Howard Yount and Kent Wang.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    151 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ELNJ View Post

52% silk / 48% wool.

For context, I currently own essentially no blazers / sportcoats - I have a couple of suit jackets that could pass in a pinch. I'm just starting to try to up my game a bit and wear a coat more often. I teach at a small college, so essentially anything goes for work dress (except super-dressy). Wearing a coat at all puts me on the dressier end of the spectrum. I'm looking to start with some inexpensive (but hopefully decent quality, decent looking) jackets while I'm figuring out what I really like, so this is a candidate. Thanks for any thoughts, and/or suggestions about other options to consider.
    I'll agree with the other guy that that particular jacket is too plain/shiny to be used as a separate, but I have a couple of JAB silk/wool sportcoats I got on massive clearance and I actually really like them. The fabric is usually pretty nice, and their fits have gotten much better recently.

EDIT: Looking more closely that could definitely be used as a sport coat in a business casual environment, it's a little much for jeans though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmcgeever View Post
    J crew may release some, but they'll likely be as part of a suit, and thus be wayyyy too expensive. Brooks Brothers and J Press may have some. Also check out Howard Yount and Kent Wang.
    Thank you for the brands. I'm unfamiliar with the specifics of Howard Yount and Kent Wang, but have heard of each. I should have specified in my OP, but the pricing from these UK sites runs roughly $130-$180 / pair, without shipping. BB or JPress I'm sure will charge $200+ / pair, so is it really an option of "2 nickels or 1 dime?", where the overall total is what it is ($200-250)?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc999 View Post
    Thank you for the brands. I'm unfamiliar with the specifics of Howard Yount and Kent Wang, but have heard of each. I should have specified in my OP, but the pricing from these UK sites runs roughly $130-$180 / pair, without shipping. BB or JPress I'm sure will charge $200+ / pair, so is it really an option of "2 nickels or 1 dime?", where the overall total is what it is ($200-250)?
    I would avoid Howard Yount only because it is very difficult to get in touch with Jameson if there is a problem. He sells great clothing at very competitive prices and many people order without issue. However, before ordering I strongly suggest checking out the Howard Yount affiliate thread on Style Forum. I own two pairs of pants from HY and love them, but I am on the fence about whether or not I would order from him again.

Epaulet NYC is also a potential source. They are by far my favorite source for pants. Either place will run you $150-$250 for a pair of pants though.
    "Tempus Fugit"

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    36 Post(s)

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rlriii13 View Post
    yes and yes! those pictured look amazing... it'll probably take a while for yours to look like that I'd imagine. I bought some iron rangers late last winter... after 40 or so wears, they still look pretty new.