Page 50 of 222 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    That was my thought too. There is also a tag that says machine wash but dry clean preferred.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
    Going back to school. Can anyone rec me a nice messenger bag for my Surface Pro 3, keyboard, one textbook, possible notebook (not laptop), and writing instruments? Would like to keep price below $150.
    I like the bags by Manhattan Portage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JGL View Post
    Love the "wear what you have" way of doing things. Might as well let them wear whatever shoes they feel like wearing though. Ask the guys what they would like out of the options you have provided?
    Thanks, I really hope it catches on. We've both been in enough weddings to appreciate that approach. I'll be damned if I give Men's Warehouse any more money than I already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    Black seems like it'd work fine to me. You're already not matching them with the suit, so as long as they match each other, no worries.
    Right, that's what I was thinking too, although someone mentioned gray suits with brown shoes is a popular style right now. I'll probably just leave it up to them to agree on something.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    131 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by devastitis View Post
    Going back to school. Can anyone rec me a nice messenger bag for my Surface Pro 3, keyboard, one textbook, possible notebook (not laptop), and writing instruments? Would like to keep price below $150.
    Maybe one of these: http://lifehacker.com/five-best-lapt...576/1620846229

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
    Has anyone ever gotten in "trouble" for returning too many items to the same retailer?

I almost exclusively shop online due to the convenience and the lack of sizing (XS, etc) in brick and mortar stores.

So a lot of times when I buy clothes from BR/ON/Gap I buy a bunch of different styles/sizes and end up returning a lot/sometimes all of them after trying them on. Also if I just want one item I spend at least $50 to get free shipping even if I know I'm going to return the rest since that is how their system works.

I heard from someone though that if you return too many items you could get blacklisted or banned from returning at certain retailers...anyone know if this is the case?
    if I were any of the above stores I would totally ban you. you're clearly abusing their free shipping and returns policy because you don't know what you're doing. this costs money and it's people like you that drive costs up for everyone. you're like the guy who goes into a brick and mortar store to try stuff on with no intention of buying, only to turn around and buy it someplace else that has the same item cheaper.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post
    if I were any of the above stores I would totally ban you. you're clearly abusing their free shipping and returns policy because you don't know what you're doing. this costs money and it's people like you that drive costs up for everyone. you're like the guy who goes into a brick and mortar store to try stuff on with no intention of buying, only to turn around and buy it someplace else that has the same item cheaper.
    Seriously? Especially for BR/ON/Gap, I can't shop in stores because they don't carry tall sizes. Their stuff is also pretty inconsistent in terms of sizing. Sometimes their 34 will fit me, other times I need a 35. The only way I can give them any business is to buy multiple sizes for home try-ons and return what doesn't fit. They're a big enough company to know people do this out of necessity.

A lot of companies (Zappos, for example) ENCOURAGE you to do this. Buy one or two pairs from Zappos, and they'll even make you a VIP (free next-day shipping).

These retailers aren't paying full-price for shipping and of course their regular prices are way marked up (who pays full price at BR?) which covers their shipping costs. Now maybe if someone bought 30 pairs of shoes or something else just completely ridiculous, then things would be different.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Thanks for your perspective. I definitely want to be mindful of the retailer and not take unfair advantage of their generous policy, but I think what I'm doing goes with the spirit of why they offer free shipping/returns so I don't feel bad. Just to clarify:

1. The fact that they offer free shipping/returns makes me more likely to shop with them/try new or risky things as opposed to other retailers who don't offer it.

2. The $50 threshold works in their favor every time I order something to get to $50 thinking I'll return it--only to change my mind and keep it after it arrives.

3. Altogether I've probably returned about 50% of the things I've ordered from them, but the other 50% that I keep is more than I would purchase from another retailer that didn't offer free shipping/returns.

Was just wondering if they have some sort of system that automatically flags you once you reach a certain amount of returns...but perhaps they have a smarter way of doing it like $ value of items returned / total $ value of items ordered. I would be fine with that.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Yikes. I do this all the time. You can't convince me I'm doing something morally wrong by using their own policy. And I am that guy who goes into the b&m just to try something on. It's not wrong; it's just smart. Why on earth would I not try something on before buying it?

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    @gaseousclay,

In my uneducated opinion (I don't work in retail), this actually makes sense to offer a free shipping / free return policy with an eye to a customer ordering several sizes of an item in order for them to find one that works. Not every online retailer with B&M locations have them dispersed equally throughout the country (LL Bean or Allen Edmonds for example would do me a big favor to have stores in Seattle). Even if they did, would it make sense to have them stock every single size/item permutation in the off chance that somebody walking in wanted it? That would require a lot of storage space and rent is not cheap in Seattle.

Additionally, with an eye to making a repeat customer, once they know their sizing, they're probably a lot less likely to order several different sizes of the same item and more likely to troll through the sales section for stuff in their size and take a gamble in it.

Quote Originally Posted by aw82 View Post
    These retailers aren't paying full-price for shipping and of course their regular prices are way marked up (who pays full price at BR?) which covers their shipping costs. Now maybe if someone bought 30 pairs of shoes or something else just completely ridiculous, then things would be different.
    That's for damn sure. I have a commercial shipping account for work and the price difference between what I pay as a private citizen and as a business is substantial.

Regards,
    Vic
    "It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness, that is life." - Jean-Luc Picard

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic View Post
    That's for damn sure. I have a commercial shipping account for work and the price difference between what I pay as a private citizen and as a business is substantial.
    Truth. I just shipped some of my textbooks and references from my Pittsburgh office to my DC office. The package was just under 50lbs. I insured it for $1000 and the total cost was less than $14 to ship since I sent it with my employers account. If I didn't insure it the cost would have been something silly like $6 IIRC