Page 43 of 222 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393143 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goodwillhinton View Post
    Thoughts on this Banana Republic blazer? It's $80 today w/ a sale. Any experience with the fit? Is this color versatile enough?

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...4202&cid=95963
    I have that blazer in a 44R along with other tailored fit blazers in 44R from BR. This is one seems to run slightly larger than the other which fit me perfectly. I am having the sides taken in and the sleeves shortened a tad. I love it though and find it very versatile.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Question: I'm looking to buy a few pairs of slacks to form the foundation for a new wardrobe. I managed to snag several pairs of BR wool pants for $40ish/ea, which I consider a pretty good deal. Is there any reason to return them and hold off until fall/winter because you'd be getting "thicker"/"more" wool or is the shell always going to be more or less the same?

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 850csi View Post
    Question: I'm looking to buy a few pairs of slacks to form the foundation for a new wardrobe. I managed to snag several pairs of BR wool pants for $40ish/ea, which I consider a pretty good deal. Is there any reason to return them and hold off until fall/winter because you'd be getting "thicker"/"more" wool or is the shell always going to be more or less the same?
    I think you are good. They are pretty much a year round weight IIRC.

Anyone have experience with J Crews wheat ludlow suit? How is the color

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    Thoughts on this rain jacket? I'm going to London/Paris in October and need something lightweight yet decent looking for this trip.

http://marmot.com/products/details/precip-jacket-new

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    I have that Marmot jacket, or at least a similar one, and I like it a lot. It's great in the rain. A little heavier than the last rain jacket I had and it didn't pack down quite as small, but that's relative because it is still light and packs pretty small. I'd say the way it is shown on the model is pretty representative of how it fits me.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1066 Post(s)
    Best place to find Cantarelli sport coat and suit measurements? I want to go crazy on Yoox but want to be sure I am buying the correct size. Also anyone have any experiences?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=932408002

^Fellas, is this faint navy plaid a bad idea for what is essentially my first suit (by that I mean I have suits but none of them fit me anymore so this would essentially be my 'first'). Got a fantastic deal on it in store - sub-$200. Or am I better off with a JCF Thompson without the pattern? Does the pattern make the jacket a bit easier to use as a blazer?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    259 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 850csi View Post
    http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=932408002

^Fellas, is this faint navy plaid a bad idea for what is essentially my first suit (by that I mean I have suits but none of them fit me anymore so this would essentially be my 'first'). Got a fantastic deal on it in store - sub-$200. Or am I better off with a JCF Thompson without the pattern? Does the pattern make the jacket a bit easier to use as a blazer?
    Yes, I would never suggest a plaid suit as your first suit. Granted, that's a good deal on it, but if I had $200ish to spend on a suit, it'd be on one in solid navy or grey. Also, I wouldn't wear the jacket as a "blazer" but that's just personal preference. Regardless of pattern, most suit jackets look a bit off to me when worn without the matching pants. The texture is often too smooth.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjmcgeever View Post
    Yes, I would never suggest a plaid suit as your first suit. Granted, that's a good deal on it, but if I had $200ish to spend on a suit, it'd be on one in solid navy or grey. Also, I wouldn't wear the jacket as a "blazer" but that's just personal preference. Regardless of pattern, most suit jackets look a bit off to me when worn without the matching pants. The texture is often too smooth.

Yeah, it's probably going back.

And thanks for putting into words what I've been thinking about in this regard. To that end, does anyone have any particular suggestions re: navy suit jackets that aren't too smooth/too structured/too long to double as a blazer in a pinch? I was thinking JCF just because I remember the fabric being a little less formal and the buttons being brown.

(this is probably a fool's errand)
    Last edited by 850csi; July 29th, 2014 at 01:31 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    145 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    And Ralph Lauren had a model (can't recall the name) that was on sale a while back for under $100 too.
    i remembered ordering that RL chelsea boots, but I return them since the toes area was pretty bubblelous for my taste.