Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Quoted
    618 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zcm View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I have been looking at the AE shoebanks list of belts... anyone ever order a belt from them?
    I own a few AE belts, and they're great quality, but overpriced. I have Manistees in merlot, walnut, and bourbon, and a dark brown Wide Basic (got them all on sale). I had a bourbon Dearborn, but I swapped those for the bourbon Manistee because they creased really badly after only a couple wears.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1838 Post(s)
    All right, I've got a quick question. I've been keeping an eye out for a piece of lightweight outerwear. Something windbreaker-y (in terms of function, if not necessarily style). The kind of thing to throw on when it's 65 and a bit breezy and just a shirt isn't quite going to cut it, or when it's warm during the day but you know the temps are going to drop at night.

Right now I'm tempted by these, which are on sale:

Opinions?
    Ben

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    May I ask what price range they're in, both originally and on sale? I have to say, they don't grab me. Not like Muffy's blazer.

How about that or a Baracuta instead?

I would even go with the tried-and-true LL Bean field coat first.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Had some birthday scratch to spend so picked up this oxford cloth popover from J. Crew.

I'm new to the popover look, and since the majority of my closet seems to be owned by OCBD's in various forms of blue, I didn't think this was much of a stretch. Polo's have never really been my thing, I only own a couple but mainly wear with shorts during the summer. My question is this, obviously I can wear this very casually, and when I say that I mean untucked with shorts/chinos/denim, but can it be pulled off tucked in for a casual summer day in the office with mid-gray/khaki/stone chino's with CDB's or Sperry's?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Quoted
    941 Post(s)
    third one is pretty OK. None of them are fully my thing though.

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    @LesserBlackDog, don't take this the wrong way, but to me they just seem a little nondescript and frumpy. There's nothing really wrong with them aside from that.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1838 Post(s)
    Re: my earlier post, I'd be buying the jacket strictly for casual wear. Looking for something I can beat up and chuck in the wash (rules out waxed cotton). Baracuta isn't really my thing, plus they seem like they'd be too warm for my purposes with the full lining.

I'm leaning toward the orange jacket. Most of what I wear on a day-to-day basis is neutral so I think a little blaze orange would be workable as an outdoor piece.
    Ben

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Prices?

Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Re: my earlier post, I'd be buying the jacket strictly for casual wear. Looking for something I can beat up and chuck in the wash (rules out waxed cotton). Baracuta isn't really my thing, plus they seem like they'd be too warm for my purposes with the full lining.

I'm leaning toward the orange jacket. Most of what I wear on a day-to-day basis is neutral so I think a little blaze orange would be workable as an outdoor piece.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1838 Post(s)
    $200 on sale. Not the best price ever but I recently got a $500 bonus at work (for no discernible reason) so I'm itching to burn a chunk of it on something.
    Ben

Banned
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Quoted
    665 Post(s)
    Who is the maker? Are they Barbour?