Page 38 of 227 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a quick question, get an answer

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydb View Post
    Hey there guys. I'm interested in buying the Stafford wingtips that were reviewed on the site recently, but I'm a bit hesitant. Does anyone have any experience with them?
    Wearing them now. They aren't going to feel anything like an AE, but they are great for the $ and I don't feel like they they give of a "cheap" appearance at all.
    '

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manceptional View Post
    Wearing them now. They aren't going to feel anything like an AE, but they are great for the $ and I don't feel like they they give of a "cheap" appearance at all.
    '
    I bought a pair of Stafford wingtips (the new, highly praised ones) and I really disliked them. I returned them a day later.

Pros:
    -They do look great. Don't necessarily look cheap, and a nice chestnut color.
    -Very cheap for any kind of leather oxford
    -Lots of sizes available
    -Heel is synthetic, but the rubbery grip is subtle and functional

Cons:
    -Leather smelled and felt like plastic. I know it says genuine leather or whatever, but who knows what that actually means.
    -Extremely uncomfortable. I know most leather shoes break in, but the thick, plasticy leather already felt like it was going to destroy the back of my heel. And it didn't feel like these shoes were going to break in terribly well.

I went to my local DSW instead and picked up some Mercanti Fiorentini's on clearance for a shade more. Much happier with that purchase.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lax101 View Post
    I bought a pair of Stafford wingtips (the new, highly praised ones) and I really disliked them. I returned them a day later.

Pros:
    -They do look great. Don't necessarily look cheap, and a nice chestnut color.
    -Very cheap for any kind of leather oxford
    -Lots of sizes available
    -Heel is synthetic, but the rubbery grip is subtle and functional

Cons:
    -Leather smelled and felt like plastic. I know it says genuine leather or whatever, but who knows what that actually means.
    -Extremely uncomfortable. I know most leather shoes break in, but the thick, plasticy leather already felt like it was going to destroy the back of my heel. And it didn't feel like these shoes were going to break in terribly well.

I went to my local DSW instead and picked up some Mercanti Fiorentini's on clearance for a shade more. Much happier with that purchase.
    Those cons are legitimate. This is probably only my 3d wear, so I'm not sure how much they will break in, but you are correct, they don't "Feel" like they are going to soften much.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manceptional View Post
    Those cons are legitimate. This is probably only my 3d wear, so I'm not sure how much they will break in, but you are correct, they don't "Feel" like they are going to soften much.
    Thanks for not flaming--I know these shoes are a favorite on the forum and on the main web site. Trust me, I am not a shoe snob--most of my work shoes came from DSW, and all of them were under $100 (at least after discounts). The smell part I don't really care about, but the stiffness was brutal. Couldn't justify keeping a pair of shoes that were going to hurt my feet, no matter the price.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Thanks for not flaming--I know these shoes are a favorite on the forum and on the main web site. Trust me, I am not a shoe snob--most of my work shoes came from DSW, and all of them were under $100 (at least after discounts). The smell part I don't really care about, but the stiffness was brutal. Couldn't justify keeping a pair of shoes that were going to hurt my feet, no matter the price.
    After posting earlier I went ahead and ordered a pair. IIRC when I tried them on in store they felt pretty comfortable. Maybe it is just the shape of your feet? As always with shoe purchases, I will try them out for a little on the carpet before I commit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zcm View Post
    After posting earlier I went ahead and ordered a pair. IIRC when I tried them on in store they felt pretty comfortable. Maybe it is just the shape of your feet? As always with shoe purchases, I will try them out for a little on the carpet before I commit.
    Felt fine wearing them and just sitting around. Walking around though, they immediately felt bad.

Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    574 Post(s)
    Felt fine wearing them and just sitting around. Walking around though, they immediately felt bad.
    Time will tell. Also, I don't think there are many people that passionate about their JCP shoes that someone would "flame" if someone didn't like them. A pair of Alden Indys or a SS Napoli may be a different story

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)
    Not at all, man wanted an opinion and yours was helpful. FWIW, I did feel that the first time or two I wore them, they are doing much better today (approximate wear #3)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    So reading these comments I see that the general opinion is that they don't break in well, correct?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    125 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydb View Post
    So reading these comments I see that the general opinion is that they don't break in well, correct?
    I am already seeing improvement on day #3. That is all I can vouch for, ask again in a week or so and I'll keep you up to date.